mrjetson707

Sep 7, 2021
Martinez, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm new to pool ownership and this is my first rain. I've been told to keep the water level in the middle of the skimmer. with the recent rain it's starting to fill up. When should I be concerned and start pumping water out? what will happen if I just leave it alone?

It is best to not let it overflow the coping. It might pull in debris from your yard.

Every pool owner should own a submersible pump to drain water, when needed. Harbor Freight and Amazon are good sources. Under $100.

It is best to not let it overflow the coping. It might pull in debris from your yard.

Every pool owner should own a submersible pump to drain water, when needed. Harbor Freight and Amazon are good sources. Under $100.
does it hurt to run my pump if it's completely filling the skimmer but below the coping?

No. It will not be skimming the surface of the pool, but the pump will not care. Probably no real reason to run the pump. Be sure to add chlorine as soon as things calm down.

No. It will not be skimming the surface of the pool, but the pump will not care. Probably no real reason to run the pump. Be sure to add chlorine as soon as things calm down.
is rain generally high pH or alkalinity? I assume I'll need to add muratic acid as well. I'll definitely test to confirm

what is classified as neutral? my pH was 8. I was going to add muratic but figured I'd wait since I knew the rain was coming. my alkalinity has been high (140ish) so maybe after this rain they will both be good? (or at least better)
7 is neutral. Don’t waste anything in a rain storm and always test before adding anything and only add the amount needed, don't guess.

Neutral pH is 7.

No real reason to act on TA. Just maintain your pH in the 7's and the TA will resolve itself.

does it hurt to run my pump if it's completely filling the skimmer but below the coping?
I have an overflow pipe in my autofill that drains to my sewer pipe. I also have a hose bibb built into my piping between the pump and filter. I have used that once to lower the level during heavy rains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check your plumbing as you might have a valve to divert return flow water to a backwash hose. You would run that to the street to drain or a safe area to discharge the excess pool water. You might not need a separate pump. Depending how resilient your local power grid is it might make sense to get a small pump you can run off a generator or one of those large battery power banks. If you lose power in a big storm you might not have the ability to drain and flood your yard/pool with all sorts of stuff.

Reactions: Oly
Rain AT last!! (Un)fortunately I'm on the edge of the storm, hopefully we'll get three inches. I lowered my pool yesterday in anticipation, hoping the dilution will help with my high TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.