Quote sanity check

Aug 27, 2018
Plano
Yo,

I am looking to have my gunite pool refinished as well as new tile, coping, and my spillover spa turned into a tanning ledge..... also install an LED light. I am wanting some input if this quote is in line with current market costs? I have no experience with this and just for my own peace of mind I would like some input if this is fair or not.... Or at least in the ballpark.

New Level 1 Pebblesheen / Regatta Blue , with hand seeded Shimmer Shells and blue glass bead blend for the Pool and Spa Interior. Start Tec additive on line 5 of the quote added at pool fill time to help combat cement dust sticking to the new surface. $6,990

New standard series frost proof tile for the pool . $2,700

New white led light for the pool. Mfg by Pentair 5G model. Excellent illumination and only 55watts of consumption vs 500 watt Oem style. $900

Convert existing spa to tanning ledge with bubbler and umbrella sleeve. $3,200

New flexible buff sanded mastic joint for the pool coping perimeter. $575

New Level 1 Pebblesheen / Regatta Blue , with hand seeded Shimmer Shells and blue glass bead blend for the Pool and Spa Interior. Start Tec additive on line 5 of the quote added at pool fill time to help combat cement dust sticking to the new surface. $6,990
It is always best to get 2 - 3 quotes just to have a better baseline of quotes for your area. IMO, this is a reasonable quote but I would also suggest that you need to have the old plaster completed chipped out. Many PB just chip out the bad parts of the plaster. A complete chip out could add $1000 or more depending on size of pool.
Also the type of plaster affects the cost a lot, so if you get additional quotes, you need to keep the plaster type the same to compare prices properly.

Convert existing spa to tanning ledge with bubbler and umbrella sleeve. $3,200
Interesting concept. I would like to see before and after pictures. I assume you do not use your spa that much. How deep do you plan to make the tanning ledge?

It is always best to get 2 - 3 quotes just to have a better baseline of quotes for your area. IMO, this is a reasonable quote but I would also suggest that you need to have the old plaster completed chipped out. Many PB just chip out the bad parts of the plaster. A complete chip out could add $1000 or more depending on size of pool.
Also the type of plaster affects the cost a lot, so if you get additional quotes, you need to keep the plaster type the same to compare prices properly.

Interesting concept. I would like to see before and after pictures. I assume you do not use your spa that much. How deep do you plan to make the tanning ledge?
I did have another quote from a less reputable company and it was a couple grand cheaper.... but I felt better with the quote I posted above. Good information on the plaster being chipped out. I appreciate it.

As for the tanning ledge, I never use the spa and it just collects leaves. I have seen a lot of converted spas and love the idea... I think the plane is to have it about 6-8 inches deep with an umbrella in the middle. It was what really sparked the entire idea to have the pool redone.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.