Quote for IC60 Install - High?

DiverGirl1972

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 11, 2018
Delta, PA
So, this was the year we were going to buy and have an SWG installed for our pool and with the current pandemic situation, I am wishing I had done it last year from a finding/hauling chlorine standpoint. My bf & I are not “handy”, so this isn’t something we feel comfortable installing ourselves. I received a quote from the same pool company who built the pool for the previous owners of our home.

We currently have a Sta-rite pump and cartridge filter and an aqua cal heater. He came out to survey the pool and equipment pad and said everything looks pretty straightforward and they’re going to get rid of an old frog system we’ve never used in the process. They provided me with a quote for installation of an IC60 at $2400.00. Is that reasonable or does this sound like highway robbery? Thanks in advance!

Pool pad picture.jpgSWG IC60 Quote.jpg

It's around $1200 for parts so another $1200 for installation is not too bad. Don't get me wrong I would totally do this myself but if one is not able to do the installation this isn't a bad price.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Make sure the proposal includes the installation of a timer for the SWG. They may try to tell you it's not necessary since the SWG has a flow switch. TFP recommends a second layer of protection to ensure the SWG is not powered on when the pump is off.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I agree with Poolgate. Just be sure you're getting a name brand and not an off brand. Check online for the prices. 10 bags of salt are about $70. Hayward IC60 runs around $1100 online. Good rule of thumb for estimating total installation is to double parts cost for labor and you're at $2400. So it's a competitive price. But if it's some never heard of very limited warranty unit it's not a good deal. Do check the details.

Chris

Mike also points out an important issue. Make sure they include wiring the unit so it can't get power without the pump powered. This is easy to do in most installations but very necessary as I believe the TFP recommended practice for this is critical for safe operation. Get this and the other details all in writing before you authorize the work.

Chris

Since you have a VS pump, are they going to include a timer for the SWG?

I think that I would skip the zinc anode.

Zinc is a metal and can cause metal stains like any metal.
I am not sure.... I assumed it would be wired to run at the same time as the pump, but now I'm not confident of that. I will definitely be asking this question when I call them tomorrow. What exactly is the zinc/anode water bond and what does that entail? Is this something that I can just tell them not to do? If so, would there be any danger in skipping this?

I really appreciate everyone's comments!

I agree with Poolgate. Just be sure you're getting a name brand and not an off brand. Check online for the prices. 10 bags of salt are about $70. Hayward IC60 runs around $1100 online. Good rule of thumb for estimating total installation is to double parts cost for labor and you're at $2400. So it's a competitive price. But if it's some never heard of very limited warranty unit it's not a good deal. Do check the details.

Chris
Whoops I typed Hayward IC 60 should have been Pentair... thanks Allen!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did your PB determine that you needed 10 bags of salt? Did he do an accurate (i.e. Taylor K-1766 test kit) measurement of your current salt level? According to Pool Math, your pool would need 21 bags of salt (40 Lb bags) if your current salt level is zero to get to 3600 ppm salt. It would take 10 bags of salt to get to 3600 ppm if your current salt level is 1900 ppm.

I converted to SWG last May, and due to using liquid chlorine for a few years without draining my pool I had a salt level of 3200 ppm without adding any salt. I had a salt water pool and didn't even know it!

You will LOVE your SWG. Between my SWG, Robot and using hair nets in my skimmers my pool is a cinch to take care of.

Gary

How did your PB determine that you needed 10 bags of salt? Did he do an accurate (i.e. Taylor K-1766 test kit) measurement of your current salt level? According to Pool Math, your pool would need 21 bags of salt (40 Lb bags) if your current salt level is zero to get to 3600 ppm salt. It would take 10 bags of salt to get to 3600 ppm if your current salt level is 1900 ppm.

I converted to SWG last May, and due to using liquid chlorine for a few years without draining my pool I had a salt level of 3200 ppm without adding any salt. I had a salt water pool and didn't even know it!

You will LOVE your SWG. Between my SWG, Robot and using hair nets in my skimmers my pool is a cinch to take care of.

Gary
HA! I have no idea how he came to that determination on the amount of salt needed....though I have it on my list to buy the K-1766 test kit once I get everything confirmed as far as installation goes. Non-essential businesses are currently closed, so I'm not sure when that will be.

I guess I didn't realize in order to run it in tandem with the pump it would need automation or something more than we were quoted for. Our heat pump only runs when pump runs, so I figured it would be the same thing with the SWG (I seriously don't understand mechanical things! lol). Our pool pump usually runs from 10a - 10p daily. I guess it won't be too hard to just use the timer on the SWG if I have to. If this is something I wanted to upgrade later (like next year), could I?

OMG, I am so pumped to add the SWG. I literally dreamed about it all last year... I am the person 100% responsible for the pool (testing, dosing, cleaning, purchasing of supplies, etc..) and this is going to be a game-changer for me. Honestly, I am moving forward with this project even though I'm currently unemployed due to the non-essential business shut down. We've scaled back our finances to weather the storm, but for me, this already planned expense was non-negotiable. I would eat ramen noodles for two months to make this happen if it came to that! lol

Michelle,

I would ask the installer how the SWG will be controlled. They may tell you they plan to install a separate timer for that. If so, you're good. If they say the SWG has a switch that turns the SWG off tell them you want an additional timer included. If they want the job badly they may throw it in at a low or no cost. Their cost on the timer is less than $150. Looking at your photo installation should be very easy.

TFP experts recommend you have an independent control since the included flow switch can fail and cause your swg to be powered when the pump is off. This is a hazardous condition. Since your pump is powered and time controlled with its internal control you'll have to set the new SWG timer so it runs only when the pump is set to run. This way the flow switch included with the SWG is a back up only.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I dont know if you have a Leslies near you or not, but usually around this time of year they offer free installation on things like pumps and SWG. I know I got my SWG generator installed for free that way. Cost me about $1200. You may want to call around to a couple of pool stores and see what they offer.

Michelle,

I would ask the installer how the SWG will be controlled. They may tell you they plan to install a separate timer for that. If so, you're good. If they say the SWG has a switch that turns the SWG off tell them you want an additional timer included. If they want the job badly they may throw it in at a low or no cost. Their cost on the timer is less than $150. Looking at your photo installation should be very easy.

TFP experts recommend you have an independent control since the included flow switch can fail and cause your swg to be powered when the pump is off. This is a hazardous condition. Since your pump is powered and time controlled with its internal control you'll have to set the new SWG timer so it runs only when the pump is set to run. This way the flow switch included with the SWG is a back up only.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Thanks, Chris. This was super helpful. I called back the pool company and left a message to have it scheduled, but specified I definitely wanted a separate timer installed for it. I appreciate you explaining why as well. I love how much I learn from this forum!

Michelle,

I hope this helps.

Chris

Hi @setsailsoon

So, I was finally able to speak with someone at the store. I explained that I wanted a separate timer installed and wanted to see how that affected the quote. She said she would have to call the installer and get back to me. When she did return my call, I was assured that it would be wired so that it would only turn on when the pump turned on. She did not say that he would install a timer.

I explained that I wanted this done to act as a failsafe to ensure that the SWG was never running when the pump was off. She asked me to hold for a second, as if she was conferring with someone and then basically came back and again assured me, everything would be fine and that wouldn’t happen. I ended up hanging up as I just didn’t feel I could effectively explain why I want/need one (not that I should really have to, but whatever). Anyway, I decided to come back here to try to get more clarification and then take another run at it this week.

To that end, can you explain how a separate timer would serve as a back-up? For example, my VS ump normally runs from 10a – 10p each day. It runs at different pre-programmed speeds throughout the day.

They claim it would be set up to ensure it would only come on when the pump does. What exactly would have to fail on the SWG in order for it to run when the pump isn't on? How does the timer prevent a bigger issue?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Saltwater generators create hydrogen gas as a byproduct of chlorine production. Hydrogen gas is extremely flammable and there are documented cases of saltwater generators literally exploding when flow stops and some spark enters the picture. This does not happen often, but it can and has happened. The primary means of safety for a saltwater generator is its own internal flow switch. It knows when water is flowing sufficiently through the saltwater generator to evacuate any gas the generator produces. Should that flow switch fail, the saltwater generator could be in danger of the aforementioned hydrogen buildup and explosion. The secondary safety is that saltwater generators are connected to the pump in such a way that the saltwater generator only runs when the pump is running. Traditionally they are hooked into the same power supply/switch/timer as the pump so the SWG only gets power if the pump gets power. This was fine for 1 and 2 speed pumps that are powered off when they are not running. But, variable speed pumps are always powered on. Their own internal circuitry determine when they run and at what speed. This present a problem for traditionally wiring saltwater generators since power is no longer cut to the VSP to turn them off. Some VSPs have a relay that is specifically designed to power on/off a SWG when pump flow is sufficient. Most do not have this relay. In these cases it is necessary to have an independent SWG timer that is synchronized with the pump run schedule so that the SWG only runs when the pump is running.

Michelle,

Sure, it looks like you are powering your VS pump from the panel and using the internal timer to set the run time for the pump. Your pump does not appear to have a way to provide power to the SWG when it runs. So the only way they are running the swg is from a breaker in your breaker box (sub panel on the wall) and for this to turn off unless they add a timer you are only turning off using the supplied flow switch. We don't recommend this since it's a single point of failure that could cause your swg to run when the pump's off. They can use a current sensing relay and contactor to power the swg but I've never seen this in pool installations. So we normally see a separate timer. It's amazing the provider won't give you specific information on the install.

Chris

Michelle,

So just to clarify. The issue isn't really what turns the swg on but how many layers of protection do you have to prevent it from coming on with no flow. In some installations the unit is wired to power through a single breaker. So it's on all the time and power is turned off by the simple flow switch included with it. Experts don't like this because it means one switch can fail and your swg is running with no flow. Adding a timer doesn't add second level failure prevention for all cases but it is a practical way to make sure you don't have this occur just because the switch fails to turn off when the pump stops.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.