Quick pump plumbing question

daheimes

Jan 23, 2021
Omaha, NE
How much straight pipe do you really need coming out of the pump outlet. I have a Pentair IntelliFlo and it says that you should not have a 90 coming directly out of the pump. But it doesn’t say how much straight pipe you need coming out of the pump. If a 90 coming out of the pump could allow me to eliminate 2 other 90’s, would that be preferable? I would like to just have a 90 come out of the pump and have a straight shot going directly into the cartridge filter. If I have straight pipe coming out of the pump, that would require 3 total 90’s prior to going into the filter. I don’t have pictures yet, because I’m replacing all of my equipment including the plumbing and I’m just trying to plan it out.

5X the pipe diameter is the general recommendation. 10" if using a 2" pipe.

There are many pools that run fine with a 90 coming out of the pump. The more you can give it, the better the pump suction efficiency and flow will be. Even if just a few inches of straight pipe before the 90.

So, just learning...’

So the pump outlet has an impact on the suction side?
And even a few inches of straight pipe on the pressure side is better even if it means adding 2 more 90’s on the pressure side?

My questions are all about the pressure side. I already have 10”+ on the suction side.

I appreciate your continued advice.

An immediate 90 makes the pump work a lot harder to get the water flowing.

The impeller in the pump is designed to push the water straight up out of the pump. Give it a few inches of straight pipe for best flow. I would use two sweep 90s if you must turn things close to the pump. The sweep 90s change the water flow easier.

Can you use 45º fittings? Using two 45º instead of a sharp 90º is a bit easier on flow. That's what I am going to do with mine this spring...

Andrew

Da,

The most important thing about plumbing any pump, but especially the IntelliFlo, is to use pump unions.. Removes the leaks that often happen a few years later if you just use the threads as the only seal.. Also makes installation about 10 x easier..

As far as 90's are concerned, you'd have to have 20 of them before you would be able to tell any noticeable difference.

Keep in mind that the whole point of owning a VS pump is so that you can run at a low RPM.. at least most of the time.

Coming out of the pump a couple of inches and then a 90 will not be an issue. I have three IntelliFlo pumps and that is how they are all plumbed. There is "theory" and then there is everyday use..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: daheimes
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.