Quick heater bypass question

NewPoolGirlTX

Bronze Supporter
Sep 5, 2021
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Planning to install a heater bypass
Have a new Jandy 3 way valve

How do I set it such that the correct amount of water will go thru the heater when bypassing? Do I set it like one screw over on the valve so even in bypass it is a little open?

Many thanks,
Marci

Picture of new valve for reference20230331_113359.jpg

You want a partial bypass so some, but not all water goes through the heater? Then yes, turning the valve handle is like a sink faucet handle. It goes from a totally off to full on. I would look through the end of the valve before you install it to get an idea of where the valve needs to be.

Reactions: NewPoolGirlTX
You want a partial bypass so some, but not all water goes through the heater? Then yes, turning the valve handle is like a sink faucet handle. It goes from a totally off to full on. I would look through the end of the valve before you install it to get an idea of where the valve needs to be.
I thought I did want a small amount always going thru the heater, is that not correct?

It mentions 90% bypassed (See below) and I am not sure how to tell how much is bypassed if the valve partially open always

I am going off these statements in the Heater Bypass Further Reading article:

"the heater is not being used for periods of time in which case 90% of the flow should be bypassed and a small amount allowed to flow through the heater."

And

"Those automatic bypasses are set to allow a small amount of water to continue flowing through the heater when the bypass is on. The main reason that "some" water should continue to circulate through a heater is so that the water in the heater ..."

The main point of that article is the importance of having some water always refreshing the heater core so as not to allow stagnant water to exist. Any flow at all will be sufficient. Many (most?) people don't have a bypass on their heater and have never had an issue so don't lose a lot of sleep over this.

I thought I did want a small amount always going thru the heater, is that not correct?

It mentions 90% bypassed (See below) and I am not sure how to tell how much is bypassed if the valve partially open always

I am going off these statements in the Heater Bypass Further Reading article:

"the heater is not being used for periods of time in which case 90% of the flow should be bypassed and a small amount allowed to flow through the heater."

And

"Those automatic bypasses are set to allow a small amount of water to continue flowing through the heater when the bypass is on. The main reason that "some" water should continue to circulate through a heater is so that the water in the heater ..."
Are you using a electronic actuator or leaving the bypass manual?
My electronic actuator on a pentair mastertemp is set so that it is approximately 10% open when bypassed.

I was thinking of leaving it as a manual thing. I am not experienced enough to put it on an actuator I don't think :)
And I already bought the manual valve LOL
Same valve auto vs manual just with auto you remove the handle and 4 screws amd add the actuator which comes with longer screws.
But with the manual valve, when you are bypassing the heater, you could close off the bypass to where off was pointing at the screw left of the port instead of between the 2 screws

OOH thank you. How hard is it to wire the actuator to the box , I already have an actuator that triggers when Spa mode is selected.

And thank you for the clarification should I leave it manual. Very much appreciated!

I am not familiar with your version of Aqualink but normally it just plugs into the appropriate port and then is programmed within Aqualink to activate. They are easy to install.

Reactions: NewPoolGirlTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.