Cartersville, Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I started getting quotes for pools a couple months ago but slowed down until recently - now I am pretty aggressively comparing numbers, etc, and looking to sign within a few weeks.
Design, hardware, and the more visual things I have been asking - Brands of equipment, lights, coping, etc.

However, one person who's quote came in very high was constantly talking about how he uses 2" (I think it was?) pipes vs 1 and it made me wonder: What questions should I be asking to ensure I'm comparing apples to apples?
I am looking into fiberglass, and gunite, now - Previously just gunite.

I'm now in a bit of a 'he-said she-said' between contractors, but it's really making me think of what questions is it I should be asking I might not know/consider?

So far I ask (off top of my head):
  • Brand of pump/equipment.
    • Smart capability of the equipment
    • Does the equipment have the 'anti-freeze' technology
  • What is your warranty
  • Price sheet for as much as possible
  • Do you do decking/walls
  • How do you handle customizations?
    • Lights, bubblers, etc.
  • How long from 'start to finish' roughly?

Very generic questions but as I'm heading pitches about "what is under the pool" and comparison of sizes I feel like I'm missing some vital ones.

Do you (not the PB) have a drawing of what you’re expecting the finished product to look like? This will help with comparison shopping.
I can think of too many questions on just getting to the Shotcrete stage of the process, just how detailed are you looking to be?
I would start with asking about the payment schedule. This alone can be a deal breaker.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Do you (not the PB) have a drawing of what you’re expecting the finished product to look like? This will help with comparison shopping.
I do, actually! I've been planning this out in a Miro board for a couple of months, including dimensions of the decking, water features, exact lanterns etc. I've had to change it a few times just because fiberglass shell variances.
I feel like the "visual" side of it, I have a pretty good concept of what to be asking.

Payment is a great one, I've been asking mostly around deposits/sole-pro lenders etc.

I guess for me, I'm curious if I should be asking questions about how many jets, drains, how big the pipes are, etc. It's just weird how a couple of people have used that as a bragging area - Is it just mindless patting on the back or should I truly care about what gauge people use?

Is it just mindless patting on the back
It is for the money you're spending. Upgrading the pipes with the PBs who use 1.5 inch would be a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

It also is mindless patting on the back if they used enough smaller pipes to provide more flow than the pump couple handle. There's simply no need for five 2 inch pipes coming or going from 1 pump. (From a flow perspective). If every line is home runned and valved, you can shut that one down of there is ever a problem and the rest all still work. .

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Unless the PB is doing the design and engineering work in-house, then there’s a good chance they have no idea about much of anything. Many PBs are just glorified schedulers that know a few good (and bad) subcontractors and they simply do all the administrative work as well as some cleanup work here and there. If that’s the case, then the actual pool plans and designs are being farmed out to a designer who then generates the sketches and engineering drawings. The engineering drawings need to be reviewed and stamped by a licensed engineer and those are what get submitted to any building department as part of the permit process. Many pool builders don’t do any of that detail work but just collect the documents, walk them to the office and submit the job for permitting. It’s up to them to ensure they have all the correct details but, when the time comes to build, they’re just going to go with whatever was put in the plans by the engineer. If the engineering drawings specify 1-1/2” return lines and 2” suction lines, then the PB will instruct the plumber to do that. If the electrical requires a dedicated subpanel with a 100A draw off the main panel, the PB will hand that info to the electrician.

You can ask the questions, but all you’re likely to get is a lot hand waiving.

Reactions: Newdude
You will be able to get a better apples to apples comparison and get less confused if, as much as you can, specify to all builders you talk to the specifications of the pool you want them to quote on building for you.

If a builder wants to change what you specify he can explain why.

You will iterate through your specifications as you talk with builders and spec out the pool you want built.

You will find many builders do not understand the detail about pool equipment operation. They will blow smoke and do arm waving how they have been doing so and so for so many years. You should verify everything a builder tells you.

Also do your best to get similar pools on the quotes. I don't like alot of the quotes we see to compare because it's 3 unique pools and no kidding the fanciest one costs 30k more. So they go with builders 1 or 2 many times but builder 3 may have been the best choice to build 1 or 2's design, if given the chance.

Put another way, select your pool. Then select who should build it.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post a copy of your pool drawing. Then questions like “how many jets in the spa” can be better answered and explained by knowing the size of spa and its overall layout.

The more you know about the needs of the project, the less you will rely on the judgement of the builder.
This project is completely customized to your personal needs, taste and budget.

You should listen to the podcast Poolside Perspectives. They are on Episode 9 and release a new one every Monday. A lot of the information is pretty basic, but you’ll likely have several light bulb moments. It’s all about things to consider when building a pool and selecting a builder.

One of the most important things that stuck out to me is that bids should be EXTREMELY detailed. The more the better… I’m talking 10 pages plus. A 1-2 page bid will leave open a ton for interpretation and that’ll either lead to your expectations not being met or you getting nickel and dimed to death as the build progresses.

It’ll also answer your concerns about who’s actually building you the better pool.

If you look at some of the better, more complex builds on this forum, more often than not you’ll see how detailed their bids were and how that reflects in their finished product.

I’m going through my build now and I’m wishing I’d of detailed every aspect of my build in the contract.

My bid was negotiated with the owner and it still left a lot to be desired. Simple things like I have three sheer descents on my water feature wall but what kind? How long? Are they lighted? You could ask all the same questions for bubblers.

If you don’t get that all in the contract now, I guarantee you the builder will say “well I included the most basic sheer descent so now he’ll try to hit you with an upcharge.”

In terms of plumbing, I also think it’s important you iron out those details. Size of skimmer lines, return lines, drain lines, and if they are plumbed independently. Same goes for the spa. How many pumps and what duties will they handle… pool/spa… water features.

And start to seek out help from the experts here on flow rates and pipe size relative to the needs of your pool. You’ll find a ton of builders just try to build based off what they know works which might not exactly be how your pool is spec’d or efficient for that matter.

Some states/cities have more regulations than others but for me here in Texas, I think there are basically none. So it’s really up to you to ensure you’re getting a well built pool.

Plaster would be another one. What type of finishes are included? What brands? What levels and define the levels? Most builders will charge more for darker colors or smoother finishes. You need to know what they are including in the base contract and what it’ll cost you to upgrade to each level from there. Preferably you already know exactly the finish and color you want and you can specify that in the bid.

Lighting design would be another one… what type of lights you want and how many to sufficiently light your pool.

Details like no ball valves, only diverter valves.

How you want the pool to operate may dictate more automated valves, more pumps, and specific plumbing to operate how you envision it.

Of course equipment matters. Find out what you want for all the major components like pumps, filters, heaters, chillers, salt water chlorine generator, automation system, etc.

And be sure to include best practices recommended on this forum like heater bypasses, independently plumbed skimmers, etc. Don’t assume a builder will do it the way you want. They likely won’t and then you’ll have to convince them to do it your way all the while paying them more than you initially thought if you didn’t spell it out to begin with.

This is my first build and I’m learning a lot. Hopefully I’m blessed enough in the future to build another one at another house so I can put all my learnings to use. 😂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.