Questions on SWG and pump

Jeff,

I suggest that you use what you have, but try to keep your CYA to 50 or less until you get your SWCG installed.. No rush, but you can also add the necessary salt.. Keep in mind that your pool most likely has some salt in it now, so don't add too much. If you don't have one, you will need to get a salt test kit. I recommend the Taylor K-1766.. I never trust what the cell reports as the truth, unless I can confirm it with the K-1766.

A lot of lowes and home depots have plenty of Liquid Chlorine.. Most people do not understand it is just stronger bleach.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank God they don't

Reactions: JRC1954
Thanks Jim. I I’ve got the Taylor T-100 test kit With salt measurement and the numbers I got (admittedly first time use) indicates 600 ppm salt. Gonna need quite a bit per pool math. I don’t know if I should trust the numbers since there is no circulation currently in the pool.

I did call a nearby Home Depot and they have their branded HDX chlorine at 10%, but I asked about the dates. She said the dates on the bottles were July 20 so I am assuming that she quoted a use by date. Is that a good assumption?

She said the dates on the bottles were July 20 so I am assuming that she quoted a use by date. Is that a good assumption?
Few people know how to read Julian Dates. I would not assume anything without going and looking at them myself.

Reactions: JRC1954
Oh. Well, the salt is usually by the garden center but at our Walmarts at least the only rock salt type salt they carry is Chlorox brand. (They have the briquette type Diamond Crystal and Morton). Everything I have ever read says avoid the Chlorox salt... A Lowes run might be necessary after all.

Is this honestly the case? I've missed that advice if so. I just bought 6 bags (a little at a time) of it last week because like you, that's all my local Walmart carries. If it's not recommended here, I will take them back and buy somewhere else like HD.

Thanks

Is this honestly the case? I've missed that advice if so. I just bought 6 bags (a little at a time) of it last week because like you, that's all my local Walmart carries. If it's not recommended here, I will take them back and buy somewhere else like HD.

Thanks

Water softener salt, plain, is fine to use. That is all I have ever used.

Water softener salt, plain, is fine to use. That is all I have ever used.

I am aware of that fact, especially from reading on here. I was referring to the Clorox branded pool salt sold at Walmart and the fact that it may not be recommended by users here. I've missed that if that is the case. That's what I'm trying to figure out because that's all my local Walmart carries. Is the Clorox brand pool salt ok to use or not recommended? I can find salt elsewhere no problem.

Edit: Just saw this statement in Further Reading - Salt:
"Clorox Pool Salt has been reported by multiple members to stain pools."

Guess that's my answer!

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yea, If you can return them..If you read Walmart reviews they say the same thing..Pictures of big brown spots after adding..
Last time I went to our Walmart they sold out of Morton and had 20 bags of Clorox..But Home depot sells pool salt and water softener pellets that will work..
Sorry I know that stuff get heavy and hard to return :(

Yea, If you can return them..If you read Walmart reviews they say the same thing..Pictures of big brown spots after adding..
Last time I went to our Walmart they sold out of Morton and had 20 bags of Clorox..But Home depot sells pool salt and water softener pellets that will work..
Sorry I know that stuff get heavy and hard to return :(

No worries, my pool is pretty easy most of the time so the last thing I want is to start a fight with it! Not my idea of relaxing.

@onlyjeeps

I just ordered the following online from the Milford, DE Walmart - took around 8 hours but I finally got the email that it was ready for pickup. Waiting out the storm to do so.

I was going to say that if you felt like a little road trip that it was available there. I just went online to make sure it still showed as available and for the heck of it I checked Middletown and it shows in stock there as well.

That said, I just did an online for pickup order a couple weeks ago to make sure the item I wanted was really in stock. The item was NOT to be found on display in the store but it was ready in the automated pickup locker for me (I guessed I got the last one, but it was still shown as available that evening when I checked out of curiosity).

It may be worth a try to order online from your Walmart.

Morton Pool Salt

EDIT: I read a negative comment about Walmart here somewhere yesterday and decided to share my experience. The storms didn't abate until late yesterday so I went this morning. I walked in to their "Pickup Tower" and scanned my phone's Walmart App display all without touching anything. The "Tower" replied that my order wasn't there at the tower and an associate was on the way. I already knew 560# of salt wouldn't fit in a locker so expected that. The associate showed up a couple minutes later and asked if I was me (I was the only one in pickup area), and told me to pull around to the side of the building to the grocery pickup area. I did so and another couples minutes later the associated came out with all the salt on a cart and helped me load it. A bag of salt was the only thing I touched during the entire experience.

Cudos to Milford, DE Walmart

Last edited:
All of the salt in our local Walmart is now locked up and you have to get special assistance to get it. Which apparently cramps their style. They have to send an employee out to get them, and right now they have a "no heavy lifting policy" for their employees (I kid you not, they will not help you load, either.) So. I dunno. I was really put off by Walmart last time I was there. Honestly, I am "essential" too but don't have that sort of gestapo attitude in public, anyway. The other stores in town if anything are MORE helpful now.

I suspect if I do get it there, since they are the cheapest place, I will get the Diamond Crystal "briquette" type that I use in my (Morton!) water softener and just give it more time. I tried throwing a couple in, and they dissolve faster than you would guess.

I've heard all sorts of crazy stuff about Home Depot, including that they are going to close the pro desk and lay those workers off (houses are still being built here like crazy) and major parts of the store. I went to Lowe's on Saturday (the same day as Walmart) and they were crazy busy but they were handling everything really well and they actually was who I was commenting on (well, that and Safeway) about being actually extra nice. The customers for the most part were extra nice too, except for me at Walmart. But I've about had it with Walmart, especially in Tucson. No redeeming qualities left except for some stuff being the least expensive. But less and less all the time.

But I am presently building a sun shade for the equipment out of the same redwood I'm doing the fencing out of, and I might use one of those fence sections to support the SWCG if I ever get done enough to order one. Those come from Lowe's so that's why I didn't try Home Depot. Maybe it's a good thing...

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.