Questions on pool bonding and electrical requirements

jmk396

Apr 26, 2018
PA
I'm having an above-ground pool installed and I was hoping to run the electrical myself. I've received permission from code enforcement and also had my building permit approved.

1) Pool Bonding

I know I need to run a solid copper (#8) around the entire length of the pool and attach it to at least 4 points (posts) of the pool. That same copper will then connect to the pump and to the pool skimmer (drilling a hole and buying a stainless steel insert)

How far down/away do I need to bury this copper wire?

2) Electrical Outlets

Code requires the electrical to be 6' from the pool. I'm placing the pool 10' from the house so I was thinking about putting outlets right on the siding of the house. I mentioned that in my permit application and I didn't receive any feedback?

Is this allowed or even a good idea? It would prevent me from having to dig/bury conduit and electrical wire, etc.

I just need a shutoff switch which I guess I can just place above the outlet?

I'm not sure on the specific code requirements or even how to find out. The building inspector seems nice but doesn't want to answer any questions until he comes to inspect everything...

Last edited:
1) Pool Bonding
I know I need to run a solid copper (#8) around the entire length of the pool and attach it to at least 4 points (posts) of the pool. That same copper will then connect to the pump and to the pool skimmer (drilling a hole and buying a stainless steel insert)

How far down/away do I need to bury this copper wire? The bonding wire needs to be between 18" and 24" from inside the pool wall and 4" to 6" deep. That's found in 680.26 (B)(2)(b).

2) Electrical Outlets

Code requires the electrical to be 6' from the pool. I'm placing the pool 10' from the house so I was thinking about putting outlets right on the siding of the house. I mentioned that in my permit application and I didn't receive any feedback? The convenience receptacle must be located not less than 6' from the pool wall and not more than 20' from the pool wall. This is in 680.22 (A)(1)

Is this allowed or even a good idea? It would prevent me from having to dig/bury conduit and electrical wire, etc. It is allowed and it's a good idea.

I just need a shutoff switch which I guess I can just place above the outlet? A local disconnect isn't required for the convenience receptacle, unless your local code requires it. However, it's a good idea to have one.

I'm not sure on the specific code requirements or even how to find out. The building inspector seems nice but doesn't want to answer any questions until he comes to inspect everything... Allen gave you a link to Mike Holt's site and to the code, which is a great place to start. Just be warned, if you're not used to reading the code, it can be very confusing. :)

Thanks so much guys!

When I was talking about the receptacle I was talking about the main receptacle(s) for the pump/motor and heater (natural gas).

Because the pool is only 10' from the house, I was thinking about placing the main pool equipment receptacles on the house itself. That keeps all electrical wiring itself inside the house (basement) and I don't need the typical wooden post with electrical outlets on it. I was going to install two separate outlets for two different circuits because I was told the pool pump motor and pool heater (even though it's natural gas) should be on different circuits.

I'm wondering if that is what is allowed or not. I already have another outlet on the house near the pool which might qualify as "convenience receptacle" ?

Are you hard wiring the pump or using a plug? Code limits the length of a pump cord with a plug to 3 feet.

I don't have the pump yet but it's a "Hayward 1HP". (it seems to be what every pool company offers as part of their kits)

I was thinking the pool piping could extend from the pool to about 3 ft. from the house where a new electrical outlet would be installed. (i.e. Pool -> 7 feet pipe/tube -> Pump -> 3 feet -> Outlet on side of house)

Here is a diagram: (electrical + natural gas connections to house wall on siding of house)

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I can't really put it on the side of the house though because we are possibly moving our shed to that location (against the house).

Is there any potential issues (or bad practice) using the setup I described above including putting the pool equipment outlets directly on the house siding?

To me putting the equipment pad within 3 feet of the house is putting it by the side of the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can anybody recommend me an electrical setup for the pump + timer + shutoff switch and the heater (gas + 110v)?

This Aube TI040 looks like a timer I can mount to the side of my house and then directly wire the pump to it? If so, what is an example of an outdoor emergency shut-off switch I can use? (do I need one?)

I'm thinking the pump circuit would be: [electric panel] -> shut-off switch -> timer -> pump.
...and the heater circuit would be: [electric panel] -> heater

Can my pool heater (natural gas + 110v) just use a basic weather-proof outdoor outlet w/o a timer and shutoff switch?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.