Questions - leak - automation - polaris

Sep 28, 2018
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I’ve got a few questions hoping the group can offer some advice on. I’ll start with the big one. It appears I have a leak. Water started season really high above slimmer opening. Bled off water via filter to get just below top (yes I realize it should be farther down) however I had to run and let it go a few days. Now seeing water two screws down. Last year I had a very slow leak, used marliq fix a leak at end of season. Seemed like it was holding the first couple days running when water was high but now bailing quick. I have no visible signs of a leak external of the pool. Troubleshooting thoughts, how to test this? No bubbles in pump or prime issues.

Pool is 20x40, main drain, 2 skimmers and 2 returns with a third return dedicated to the Polaris. Pool was built in 60’s, tiger flex pipe, I had to repair Polaris line first season in but when that was leaking it erupted with the booster pump pressure and water would surface. This seems smaller in that I see no water but I also seem to be losing a lot of water. It’s going to be a long summer if I can’t identify. I’m in nj.

Next question, I have an old intermatic timer that works on manual throw switch but the timer wheel is not moving so it never hits the pins. Worked at end of season, any ideas? This runs my booster pump.

Polaris older model, any troubleshooting to get it to perform better. It does ok but not great, I have to leave it on most of the day to keep up. I have replaced the tires, fine mesh bag, tail, scrubber and the pressure hose.

Lots of other questions but I’ll stop here for now.
Thanks Kenny

Hi, I’ve got a few questions hoping the group can offer some advice on. I’ll start with the big one. It appears I have a leak. Water started season really high above slimmer opening. Bled off water via filter to get just below top (yes I realize it should be farther down) however I had to run and let it go a few days. Now seeing water two screws down. Last year I had a very slow leak, used marliq fix a leak at end of season. Seemed like it was holding the first couple days running when water was high but now bailing quick. I have no visible signs of a leak external of the pool. Troubleshooting thoughts, how to test this? No bubbles in pump or prime issues.

Pool is 20x40, main drain, 2 skimmers and 2 returns with a third return dedicated to the Polaris. Pool was built in 60’s, tiger flex pipe, I had to repair Polaris line first season in but when that was leaking it erupted with the booster pump pressure and water would surface. This seems smaller in that I see no water but I also seem to be losing a lot of water. It’s going to be a long summer if I can’t identify. I’m in nj.

You need to go through a process of elimination. You can let water drop and see if it stabilizes at some level which indicates where the leak is. the Do you have valves to isolate the individual skimmers? You need to examine all the areas where you have holes in your liner for lights etc.

Next question, I have an old intermatic timer that works on manual throw switch but the timer wheel is not moving so it never hits the pins. Worked at end of season, any ideas? This runs my booster pump.

If timer clock wheel is not turning then the mechanisim needs to be replaced.

Polaris older model, any troubleshooting to get it to perform better. It does ok but not great, I have to leave it on most of the day to keep up. I have replaced the tires, fine mesh bag, tail, scrubber and the pressure hose.

What model Polaris do you have? Did you do a complete rebuild replacing all bearings? The rebuild kits cost less then half of a new cleaner and replace all the moving parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.