Questions about shocking, FC levels and other related

Splaker

Jan 17, 2016
Canada
Hey folks,

Latest test after about 1.5" of rain today: FC 8.5 (seems high), CYA 50, PH 7.5, TA 110.

I was about to do my weekly shock when I realized the FC is on the high side. I did have pucks in the skimmer throughout the week. They've since dissolved. Should I hold off on shocking this week and perhaps keep an ey on the FC level? Maybe add a couple of pucks once the sun hits the water again? It haas been cloudy the past two days.

I have a few other sort of related questions:
1. Do you prefer powder or liquid CL for shock?
2. Regarding pucks, how many per week should I be adding typically? I assume more of it's sunny and warm with more swimmer activity?
3. When backwashing, do you do one backwash cycle then rinse (I've done 90 second BW followed by 75 second rinse)? I've come across info that states two cycles of each is a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like you might want to review the TFPC methods.
Pool Care Basics

'Shock' in the context you are implying is not done in TFPC.
Pucks are not used as a sustainable method to chlorinate.
Backwash depends on your system. See Sand Filter Use and Care - Further Reading

Reactions: Splaker
Hey!

We don't advocate shocking a pool. We maintain FC by following this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels
Preference is liquid chlorine or SWCG.
We don't advocate pucks...and certainly not in the skimmer (please take them out of the skimmer, they are very acidic and can damage equipment), and put them in a floater.
If you do decide to use pucks, then enough to maintain FC for your CYA (see link above). Also know that pucks add CYA to the pool. At some point you main need to drain, or if you have lots of rain, that will dilute the cya with partial draining.

I've been shocking regularly for years.
We gonna save you $$$$.

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

thanks for the info! I will do my research this week. So my FC was high meaning I didn't lose any and therefore my chem balance is good - can I assume this? If things were out of whack my FC would have dropped appreciably I think..

Last week I did the overnight loss test and I passed.

So shocking is done only on occasion? I am sure I'll find out all the details once i go through the literature.

Many thanks! You guys already saved me money this year when I thought had equipment problems. Turned out it was just an algae bloom.

thanks for the info! I will do my research this week. So my FC was high meaning I didn't lose any and therefore my chem balance is good - can I assume this? If things were out of whack my FC would have dropped appreciably I think..

Last week I did the overnight loss test and I passed.

So shocking is done only on occasion? I am sure I'll find out all the details once i go through the literature.

Many thanks! You guys already saved me money this year when I thought had equipment problems. Turned out it was just an algae bloom.
Your FC of 8.5 is right where it should be for a CYA of 50. Most people have issues when they let their FC get below the minimum.

Shocking is not needed if you keep your chlorine at the correct levels to prevent any algae from forming. Shocking is advocated by pool stores to sell products and is easy to mask problems by knocking out the algae for a day or two. You have a lot to learn and unlearn.

Other than some sand getting in the pool, you can wait. Pretend you're at the beach. :)

There may be some exceptions, but generally speaking most people order the spider gasket separately. In some cases, the key diverter assembly needs to be replaced, but I would be surprised if that was the case with you since your MPV was just worked on in the past year or so. Even a spider gasket going bad is a bit odd this soon. :scratch:

By any chance have you been changing setting with the pump on? Do you always turn the handle in one direction, or do you go clockwise and counter clockwise?

When you have algae, you follow the SLAM Process
Yup... did the SLAM 2+ weeks ago taking the advice from members here... it worked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup... did the SLAM 2+ weeks ago taking the advice from members here... it worked.
Great. So that is where TFPC incorporates the term 'shock' SLAM is Shock Level and Maintain. Shock is a level of FC needed based on your CYA level that if maintained will eradicate algae in your pool safely and quickly.

By the way, I want to know what direction do you folks keep your jets? Upward (to skim the pool surface) or downward? I generally keep downward and turn the to the surface if i want to skim debris entering the pool due to high winds

By the way, I want to know what direction do you folks keep your jets? Upward (to skim the pool surface) or downward? I generally keep downward and turn the to the surface if i want to skim debris entering the pool due to high winds
Counter clockwise pattern for me to circulate the water around the pool. You don't have pictures of your pool posted, your pool may need something different.

My PB did the right thing and put the skimmers on the leeward side of the pool for prevailing winds. I don't need the returns to help it, winds to the job...

Counter clockwise pattern for me to circulate the water around the pool. You don't have pictures of your pool posted, your pool may need something different.

My PB did the right thing and put the skimmers on the leeward side of the pool for prevailing winds. I don't need the returns to help it, winds to the job...

Here is the pool - yesterday I dialled the jet nozzles to counter clockwise. The red circles are where the jets are located with the one near the steps being the stronger jet (closer to the pump pad). That deep-end jet is about 40% weaker (is that normal?). The yellow circle is where my skimmer is located.

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 6
Where does the prevailing wind come from?

With no wind, clockwise might help to get surface debris to the skimmer better - based on pool shape.
You could always try both directions and see which works better for you.

Hmm - counter clockwise might be best as you want the return near the steps to circulate to move debris out of the area to the right of the steps.

Try it to see how it works.

Reactions: Splaker and newdude
It's a moving target. Next month the winds may shift 25 degrees to the right and you may need to adjust it again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.