Questions about pool electrical

Harmygeddon

Mar 2, 2021
NJ
Hi Everyone! I have been quietly hanging out in this forum for the past month or two, and you guys have been super helpful! I am in the middle of my pool build and I have questions regarding the electrical, which I will be doing myself. Don't worry, I have pretty advanced electrical DIY skills (several permitted and inspected outlets installed by me). Also (more importantly), I have a lot of support from actual licensed electricians, but they are industrial electricians from work and have little residential experience. I read through the NEC pool code and it states that electrical conduit needs to be 5 feet from the interior wall even if buried. Also, it can be closer if space constraints exist but needs to be ran in RMC. Would tree stumps/roots be considered space constraints? I can run it 5 feet out but that would put the pump closer to the deck and I am concerned it will be noisy. Please see picture for reference.

Pool: 15x26x54 Aqua leader Elixir (Basically, a Pool Factory Saltwater LX)
Pump/Filter System: Hayward EC50 1.5HP DE
SWG: Hayward Aqua Trol

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 26
Welcome to TFP.

Where in NJ are you?

Do you need a permit for the pool construction and will you be getting an electrical inspection?

If so, best to ask the inspector. His opinion is the one that counts, not ours.

Can you get a two-speed pump (or VSP)? If noise is your only concern, mine is virtually silent running on low (which it pretty much always is).

The cost differential if you have to use RMC and all that extra length of wire is likely to be more than the cost differential of a multi speed pump.

I wouldn’t love the idea of buried wire that close to the pool in any case, whether you can get an inspector to sign off on it or not.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am in Parsippany NJ and I am permitting all of this work (Deck, pool, electrical, etc.). I thought about routing the conduit around the other side of the pool, but there is no great way to do it without making over 360 degrees of bends or coming out of the ground to put a j box. I'm just going to put the pump in the easy location and take magiteck's advice and get a two speed pump, which I should probably do anyway for the efficiency. It will be hidden by the pool deck so I'm not too concerned about looking at it.

Reactions: magiteck
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.