Question regarding SLAM and continuous filtering

Leonian

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2016
New Jersey
As I understand it when you SLAM you load the pool and keep it loaded with chlorine while you run the filter continuously.
My very green pool was just opened for the season and filter pump pressure goes up from 12 psi to 20 psi in just a few hours as the filter does its work.
Is it safe to run the pump overnight? I fear the pump will get overworked/overheated/fail if I am not frequently monitoring it.
I vacuumed the pool first to remove as much silt as I could that came through the winter cover.

Thanks for your feedback.

As I understand it when you SLAM you load the pool and keep it loaded with chlorine while you run the filter continuously.
My very green pool was just opened for the season and filter pump pressure goes up from 12 psi to 20 psi in just a few hours as the filter does its work.
Is it safe to run the pump overnight? I fear the pump will get overworked/overheated/fail if I am not frequently monitoring it.
I vacuumed the pool first to remove as much silt as I could that came through the winter cover.

Thanks for your feedback.
If you are more comfortable switching to recirculate during the time you are unable to monitor the filter pressure, that will keep the water moving. But it's important to filter (and clean the filter) as much as possible to clear the pool as reasonably quickly as possible! As elevated chlorine is "half" the battle :)

Thank you splashpad! That was a great suggestion. I never considered that option. When my pool was installed I was told there was no need to ever use that setting on my multiport. I have now read about "recirculate" and realize this a perfect situation for its use.

One follow up question ... Is there any need to keep the pump on at all overnight unless you have just recently added chemicals (chlorine in this case) to the pool?

One follow up question ... Is there any need to keep the pump on at all overnight unless you have just recently added chemicals (chlorine in this case) to the pool?
Some areas have lower electricity costs. Others use night time movement to help cool the pool. Some need to keep the water circulating at all times to keep it filtered and clean. As long as the pool is staying clean to your personal preference, you can determine the desired amount of filtering run time. Determine Pump Run Time - Trouble Free Pool

During any SLAM, the pump should be running 24/7 until you pass the overnight test. If you fear that the pressure may rise too much, then shut of the timer, move to recirculate to keep the water moving, etc. Then in the morning go back to filter. I have seen many filthy pools, but the pressure rise is really only the first 12 hours, where it requires so much back washing and frequent back washing. Can you provide a time line of start to finish with TC, FC, CC and pressure readings (before and after), plus also the amount of time lapse before back washing. A timeline will provide you enough information so you can see that progress is being made. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.