New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We bought a house with a 16x32 rectangular pool which was in decent shape but had some plumbing issues. Old plumbing has been dug up and replaced. Pool has steel walls. We are planning to surround the pool in pavers and like the large 24” x 12” coping stones around the pool. I have 3 major questions...

1. I was informed that I will need a low profile cantilever track: Cantilever/Paver track (link removed by TFP Mod). My question is How do the pavers attach to this track? Will the mortar stick to the aluminum track? Am I missing something?

2. Should the coping stones have a square edge or rounded edge on the water side? Any benefits?

3. When pouring the concrete footing around the pool, is rebar necessary?

Sorry for any silly questions, but pretty much a pool newbie.

Depends what coping you have now. If you have white metal the job is a pain. Have to release the liner in sections after draining down pool and replace the coping all together. New track sits a little higher than top of wall. You form up and pour a wierd pad around the whole pool an inch shorter than coping width. 1" overhang eats that inch up. Bullnose is best. You want pad 4" min I like 6". You mortar coping to that no glueing or attaching to coping at all. Before you do any of this you demo and prepare the paver base and under the new pad. Then lay pavers to butt to backside of coping.

Easy way is to leave it all and go over if with Reno pavers if the existing concrete is level. It's a huge job doing cooing and deck for DIY with no experience but can be done. Lots work involved

I guess I should have added more info. So the liner will also be replaced by a new 28mil and the current track is a white one with a half moon on it. So are you saying that bullnose pavers would be preferred over the 12x24 pavers stones?

Yes bullnose all the way. Liner replacement takes care of that issue. You can either pack top of wall with cement board glued and zip screwed or use strips of wire mesh zipped to top of wall and mud to height of track top. It sits about a half inch higher than metal wall. It's a pain to bend looks like you have tight corners. Not fun you will need 6" corner extrusions if not already behind liner unless it's a real square corner pool. Takes time you will get it done and when you relax you will appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.