Question on Frog Leap Torpedo Pac, as it relates to chlorine

joshl

Jun 9, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi all. Just got a pool installed, so prepare for a lot of questions! Our new pool is an 18-ft x 54" Mission above ground. We added the frog leap attachment, along with torpedo pacs. I've read a lot of material on these, but not finding the best guidance.

This may be a dumb question, but I assume we still initially add chlorine to the pool (0.00013 ounces of chlorine per gallon of water, from what I read)? The pool company supplied us with bottles of chlorine as well, but just want to be sure. It seems like the frog leap is more for cleaner water and chlorine maintenance, and not for adding chlorine initially, correct?

Thanks in advance, look forward to being a part of this group.

Welcome to the forum!
Sadly, the last thing you want to use is the Frog Leap thing. The chlorine packs are trichlor and the mineral pacs are copper/silver. The minerals will stain the pool surface and turn blonde hair green. The Trichlor will build up CYA in the water and will eventually get too high for the chlorine to be effective.
You need a proper test kit to manage your pool water chemistry. See Test Kits Compared
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Donldson
Unfortunately, mknauss is right. Builders like to sell you cleaning systems and show them off as being super clean and super convenient/time-saving, but in reality, they will cause you many headaches down the line.

The chlorine they use also adds a never-ending increase in CYA (stabilizer) that eventually makes your chlorine less effective, leading to algae growth and an unsanitary pool. The minerals, though they have sanitizing properties, are not appropriate for use in a pool despite what they claim. They cause problems and staining when they build up in your pool and are not at all necessary to have a clean and clear pool.

I second reading all 4 of the links mknauss put in his post, and suggest you keep exploring the pool school articles.

To the OP, you are not the first and won't be the last to pay for these things. My Pool Builder got me for a "Pool Frog" mineral unit and an "Ozone Generator". The pool builder told me that with the ozone generator, I could reduce my FC to 0.5 ppm.
They also installed a tablet holder. It holds tablets, but they never erode, it never worked.
So glad I found this place. The only good thing the Pool Frog did was save space for my Salt Water Chlorine Generator.

Reactions: AK-
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.