Question on converting to SWG - does it make sense?

I've been researching on converting from my standard LC method to a SWG conversation through this forum (lots of information that I am grateful for). Through my research, it looks like you are not really reducing any work or cost (i.e. no real efficiency gained) by converting to SWG. You transition from having to keep up with with constant FC/CC demand to constantly keeping PH low by adding acid. Cost of 1 gal bleach at HD = $3, Cost of 1 gal acid from Lowes = $7. Acid is much more hazardous to store and pour than bleach. Justification for me to convert is really due to my desire (laziness) to not have to go to HD and buy 12 gallons of bleach every time (they give me a "Look"), and not having to pour it in the pool every day. If I still have to go and buy an even more expensive chemical to pour in every day (or every other day), then what is the benefit besides no red eyes (I simply will wear a $20 pair of goggles or not open my eyes under water)?

Is my logic and understanding correct? I was all set to convert until i kept reading about balancing high PH.

TIA

Well, personally, I would not have a pool if I did not have a SWCG.

We just returned from a 75 day trip. The pool was chlorinated the entire time by our SWCG. Yes, we had someone come and test pH each week and add acid a few times. And they cleaned out the skimmer basket.

The only reason your pH rises when using a SWCG is because you are not using Trichlor which is acidic. If you are currently using solely LC, I doubt you will see much pH rise at all from a SWCG. Unless your fill water is very high in TA and/or pH, but then you would have been having to add acid now, if you are solely using LC.

You should monitor CSI when you have a SWCG. By keeping the CSI between -0.3 and 0.0 you keep scale from forming on the plates in the SWCG.

Take care.

Most who have SWG systems love them and would not give them up. Yes the pH can rise but I am not sure I have seen a thread saying it was unduly burdensome or cost prohibitive. The general census I have seen is that cost of LC vs cost of SWG is about equal if you price it out over the life of the system. Those who do switch seem to love the SWG because it stops the frequent trips to the store and having to poor in every day.

In your case you have a large pool, so large that you would either be running you pump 20+ hours a day or would have to buy 2 cells. If you already run your pump that long no problem if you don't it might be another strike against the SWG.

An alternative that does not eliminate the trips to HD but still makes life much easier is what most on the forum call a Stenner system. It is a DIY pumping system for LC connected to a timer that will does a predictable amount each day. If you do a forum search for Stenner you will find a multitude of builds, I have 2 Stenners one for MA and one for chlorine I would never go back to manual adding.

You couldn’t pay me to give up my SWG. And last year I didn’t have to add MA once... my pool stayed at 7.5 PH all summer.

gq,

One trip to HD would be enough for me to switch...

If I loaned you my SWCG system for a month... when I came to take it back, you would beat me with a hammer... :hammer:

I add about 20 oz of MA once a week in the summer and a lot less in the winter...

I will never, ever, have a non-saltwater pool again. As a plus, the water just feels better...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

See here - Economics of Saltwater Chlorine Generators

Even when you price in acid use, it's wash. You are not spending more or less money either way.

Also, pH rise is not a given; that is a fallacy that crops up in a lot of places. Typically speaking, people add water to their pools that is more alkaline than the water in the pool, so the pH rises. People sometimes use net-acidic forms of chlorine (dichlor and trichlor) and so when they stop, they say, "Ah-ha, that stupid SWG is causing my pH to rise!!" But that is not true. Most pH rise in pools is due to aeration and the resulting out-gassing of CO2 from pool water. SWG's cause very little aeration unless they are run at 100% for many hours out of the day. We have a few members here that switched to SWGs and have absolutely no pH rise (in fact, they sometimes have to raise the pH because it goes too low) and that is because their fill water is slightly acidic (mostly an east coast phenomenon).

So switching to an SWG does not necessarily mean that you will be trading bleach additions for acid additions. The pH rise of the pool is much more complicated than that.

Thank you all for your thought. Moving from Hawaii where my pool was the ocean, I never thought about nor wanted to maintain a pool. Unfortunately this was the one thing my wife wanted as a condition of moving to Dallas. Having to battle algae on an annual basis (due to my neglect) has been a signigant annoyance. Thankfully this forum has really educated me on a cost effective way to rid of it when I have time to focus.

For those who have converted to SW pools, do you find it easier to prevent algae - in other words is it more forgiving in terms of algae growth for the slight neglect of pH balance?

Spending close to $850/a year on chemicals, I can make up for the cell (RJ60+) within a year and a half. My main goal is to have a system that is less work (assuming I check my chemicals once a week - I know I should do it daily).

TIA

Lack of FC allows algae to grow, not pH issues.

pH issues can damage the pool and equipment, so it needs to be monitored/managed.

I don't add MA every day, or even every week. Maybe every 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't have a pool without a SWG.

gq,

Algae wise...

If you follow the TFP process you just won't get algae...

I have three saltwater pools, all TFP, and for the past 6 years none of them have ever gotten algae... I have also never added any Pool Store shock, Phos-free, or any other magic pool store chemicals..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Spending close to $850/a year on chemicals, I can make up for the cell (RJ60+) within a year and a half. My main goal is to have a system that is less work (assuming I check my chemicals once a week - I know I should do it daily).

TIA

$850 seems high... what chemicals are you talking about?

If you follow TFP principles, you don’t have to test everything daily, see Pool Care Schedule. Honestly, while I did test daily when I was new, I don’t check FC and PH daily now. Every two or three days is good, and of course when I am out of town I test before I leave, make sure timer is set, and off I go.

I never have to add acid; pH stays rock solid all season.

Preventing algae is just a matter of maintaining proper FC levels. I haven’t had algae in over a decade since learning the methods taught here. Even when I uncover the pool in the spring, without any maintenance during the winter, the pool is clear.

A few years ago I had to manually chlorinate a week or so while waiting on a replacement for the main pump that died. What a pain! I was so happy when the new pump arrived and I could use the SWCG again!

$850 seems high... what chemicals are you talking about?

If you follow TFP principles, you don’t have to test everything daily, see Pool Care Schedule. Honestly, while I did test daily when I was new, I don’t check FC and PH daily now. Every two or three days is good, and of course when I am out of town I test before I leave, make sure timer is set, and off I go.
$3 of bleach a day, more in the summer heat; even more when I don't pay attention and algae starts - this year I had to drain and pressure wash black mold;DE, MA, borax, cya - that's with buying in bulk online for some of the chemicals. I could probably save a lot if I was more diligent.

My pool’s pH has been rock solid at 7.4 since first fill. Two seasons of bleach, now on my second season of SWG, pH is still at 7.4. I’ve only added acid to my pool two times in 4 years, & I still have 3/4 of a gallon of MA

I love my SWG and would hate to have to go back to manual dosing.

Well, so far several people with SWGs have responded and not one has said, “I rue the day I bought this thing!” so that ought to tell you something. ;)

Well, so far several people with SWGs have responded and not one has said, “I rue the day I bought this thing!” so that ought to tell you something. ;)
Fair enough. Thanks again for all of your input. Just wanted to make sure I understood what I was getting myself into. THANKS EVERYONE! Hopefully this helps others that are on the fence. I guess this is one step closer to making Texas like Hawai'i ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.