Question on Changing single to variable speed Pump

ashtonbritney

Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Albemarle, NC
Hi All,
This may be a really dumb question...I would like to move from my single 230v 1hp century motor to a variable ( this is the recommended pump v-GREEN 1.65 hp ecm16cu A.O. Smith V-Green 1.65 HP Round Flange 56J Variable Speed Motor - ECM16CU - INYOPools.com). Currently, I have an intermatic freeze timer that turns on the chlorinator and pump. With the variable pump, how do I wire up the chlorinator to turn on when the pump is running.?

hmmm, you will wire the pump directly and not use the timer, it needs power 24/7 and the internal timer turns the pump on or off at certain times... If you run the pump 24/7 and not turn it off then you can turn on the anything else..

As for the chlorinator, is that one that has the pucks in it? If so they really do not work at lower VS speeds and that is why you are changing to a VS pump to run as low as possible.. You will need to change the way you put chlorine in the pool... Here we always recommend a salt water generator or liquid chlorine and both work great with a VS pump..

I have the pureline chlorinator (40,000gal). I have been reviewing as many posts and let me run this buy everyone. It looks like I will use my intermatic for Chlorinator and set that timer, and then wire directly from my breaker to the Vgreen.

exactly that :)

As long as you have the Intermatic during the day and you run your pump during the day your good, or you run your pump 24/7...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.