Question for DE users....what do you do with the backwashed stuff?

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Not just from backwashing, but also the debris that gets washed to the ground when hosing off the grids? Put it in the trash? I have a bit of a mound that has grown where I typically set the filter grids to hose them off. Thinking of just putting some in the trash bags. I know DE is considered a hazardous material, hence the question.

How often do you clean the DE filters?

When I backwash it all goes in the sewer via the drain cleanout. When I did a deep clean last I just did it in the drive way and it all washed into the sewer. There really wasn't a ton of DE so it wasn't an issue. If I had huge clumps of it I'd probably just toss it in a bag and into the dumpster.

How often do you clean the DE filters?
Simple answer...TOO often. My cycles are averaging 5-10 days of late. If you're referring to chemical cleaning, I do it every few weeks - bought a 2nd set of grids the other year so I could always have a clean one on hand without having to take the pool out of service.
When I backwash it all goes in the sewer via the drain cleanout.
No sewer here in the countryside! Whatever comes out of the backwash hose or off the grids from the hose winds up in the ground. Yesterday I really went to town on it though and excavated a small quarry about 4 inches deep right where I usually set the grids to hose them off - a mixture of spent DE, ground, and grass resulted. Carted all of it over to the woods across the street from my house. That stuff was HEAVY! Had to do it via partial wheelbarrow loads.

Why are you backwashing and deep cleaning so often? Is your pool just really dirty from trees or something?

I do remember throwing some big chucks of DE in the trash when I did a deep clean but it wasn't enough to be an issue. Certainly not enough to need a wheelbarrow.

My city does say you can water your plants with the pool water but idk what that will really do to the plants, I've never tried.

Why are you backwashing and deep cleaning so often?
The pool decides it...not me. I've been experiencing short filter cycles the past few seasons. Often 9-10 days from start to when it's time to dump the DE. Starting psi often around 14 and then doesn't take long till it's up to 20-22. At that point, I get a "no flow" indicator on the heater and then...no choice but to clean it all out again. PITA for sure. This is all tied in with my consideration of converting back to chlorine. Long story....

My city does say you can water your plants with the pool water.
Being a plant buff, I wouldn't do it. Certain of these baqua compounds have ammonia so no way would I put it in my plant pots. If you have chlorinated pool water with little else added to it, probably wouldn't cause any harm. But I'm using hydrogen peroxide, algicide, this stuff called "ahhsome" (no idea what's in it), non-chorine shock, and biguanide sanitizer.

Something doesn't sound right. I can go weeks without having to backwash, and when I do, there isn't so much residual that I can't just hose it right into the ground. You certainly shouldn't be in the position of having to have two filter grids swapping in and out!

Reactions: Cwiggs
You certainly shouldn't be in the position of having to have two filter grids swapping in and out!
I know, but, the alternative was to take the pool out of service while the grids are soaking in the filter cleaner solution. My original set of grids I got rid of several years ago already. I just figured having an extra set made sense. I get a longer filter cycle when a clean set of grids are in.

You're using chlorine, so you don't have the same issues I'm dealing with. The biguanide molecule does not easily pass through the filter and thus coagulates / clogs faster = psi increase.

Reactions: BKH

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That does not sound fun!!!!!
Becoming less fun as time goes on. I started with chlorine, switched due to a chlorine lock situation I ran into (another long story), then started using soft swim / baquacil - and have been on that now for over 20 years. It works...and yet sort of doesn't. Kind of complicated. If you check out the baquacil part of the forum, you'll find lots of stuff pertinent to my dilemma. I'm, shall we say, kind of well-known amongst certain members here - much to their chagrin 😆

• Haha
Reactions: BKH and Cwiggs
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.