Question about water odor... and numbers!

Sep 9, 2016
Wayland
Good day all -

I have a Jacuzzi J-345 (2014) with UV. 340 gallons.

I do the bleach/dichlor method

I flush and fill my tub twice a year (spring and late fall). I do an Ahh-Some purge overnight, dump it, refill it, add about 10-12 oz bleach, cycle once, dump it and fill it again.

I did it early this year, about a month ago, and have been slowly dialing the numbers down. Usually much quicker than this, but my water developed an odor almost like a wet towel with a slight mildew smell. When I put my arm in to fill the test tube, I can smell it on my arm. What is it... why is it there... and how do i make it go away. I was there when I flushed the tub originally, which is why I finally dumped and refilled it. I also ended up adding 1.0 oz of MPS three days ago and the 1.5 oz two days ago because I read it could help with odors. Not a big MPS fan - but happened to have it. It may have help the odor a little.

Last disclaimer - we haven't used the hot tub since I changed the water a month ago. And during the summer - we used it twice so it sits covered 99% of the time. Is this the root of my evil? Adding chemicals but not actually using the tub? Meaning that the chemical have nothing to attack / oxidize?

My dichlor usage overnight is less than 50%

Here are my numbers:
FC 5.0
CC .2-.3
TA 70
CH 170
CYA 25
PH
7.2-7.3 non-aerated 7.8 aerated
Borates 0 (waiting until I figure this out)

I also struggle with chem geeks/nitros method of balancing water. I always slowly reduce using dry acid but I use the pool calc and enter my numbers and shoot for a target TA number based on the numbers. But if I read the article, it says to keep adding acid until the PH no longer climbs during aeration... which usually, for me, never seems to completely balance, meaning that the PH is the same no matter if it is aerated or non-aerated. Am I over thinking it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you cleaned the spa with Ahhsome?

Have you cleaned the spa with Ahhsome?

I flush and fill my tub twice a year (spring and late fall). I do an Ahh-Some purge overnight, dump it, refill it, add about 10-12 oz bleach, cycle once, dump it and fill it again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.