Question about using claririer

1. We don’t recommend clarifier use
2. When clarifier is used it gums up your filter
3 it will take a lot if work to get rid of the clarifier once used

Why do you want to use a clarifier?

I guess I thought it could be used if your water is cloudy and doesn't clear up after taking care of the pH, alkalinity and sanitizer, and after rinsing the filter. If cloudiness means it's due for a water change, clarifier could be used once as a stop gap measure until you can refill? I would think cloudiness all the time would indicate it's time for a change of water, but what if it's just occasional?

Cloudiness is caused by inadequate sanitizer use. Chlorine or bromine. Sanitize and filter the water. Clarifier does not sanitize the spa.

I read this and it seems to make sense, no?-
Clarifier attracts and gathers negatively charged particles (like dirt, dusts and other inorganic particles), making them large enough to become trapped in the filter.

I read this and it seems to make sense, no?-
Clarifier attracts and gathers negatively charged particles (like dirt, dusts and other inorganic particles), making them large enough to become trapped in the filter.

Is this an outdoor tub? Covered? Your filter should clear the water without gluing stuff up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I realize that. But are you saying it doesn’t need to be clumped together in order for the filter to get it? Is that just an advertising gimmick from the manufacturers of clarifier?

Yes I realize that. But are you saying it doesn’t need to be clumped together in order for the filter to get it? Is that just an advertising gimmick from the manufacturers of clarifier?

It's marketing.

When did you last clean the spa filter?

Ever do a cleaning of your spa with

Every four weeks I deep clean the filter - soak it for 24 hours in a solution with TSP (trisodium phosphate ). In between times it gets rinsed .

I’ve tried Aah-some and another brand twice and never got much out from it.

This is a vacation rental, yes?

I have to say, if I were looking to rent someplace and saw the owner was trying to fix a cloudiness issue by just dumping in some clarifier I would be calling the local heath dept. Using it as a "stopgap" when the water needs replaced might not be a big deal when doing it for your own personal tub but it is downright negligent when doing it to one specifically for others to use. If the previous users of that tub did something to cause it to get cloudy I want new water in it!

I actually want to stop using it and will , after reading these posts . That’s why I asked. No reason to jump down my throat. Our cleaner , who is also our hot tub person ( we sent her for training ) I noticed it looks like she’s been using it every time by the amount gone , even though I never asked her to. She does this apparently even when the water is new and clean because it was refilled six weeks ago and it looks like she’s used it every time, after each of our 11 guests.

This is a bromine tub, not that it makes a difference I suppose. I did add a signature but it looks like it’s not showing up.

I see your signature. It says:

375 gallon Caldera Vanto spa

Reactions: Sjde
I’ve heard of people using Foam Down as a stopgap measure if they can’t change the water that day and no one has ever said that is dangerous .

We were at a vacation rental this summer and I was surprised at how the hot tub was so cloudy and even after the owner gave me bromine to add ( and it got the level up - I checked with my own test strips ) it was still cloudy.

She said the water had been changed three weeks prior.

We were at a vacation rental this summer and I was surprised at how the hot tub was so cloudy and even after the owner gave me bromine to add ( and it got the level up - I checked with my own test strips ) it was still cloudy.

She said the water had been changed three weeks prior.

I wouldn't have got in that tub until the water was clear or changed.

Test strips are worthless. I have gone to Leslies and bought a basic test kit to test rental house pool and spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.