Question about SWG for Inground Pool/Spa Combo

Mar 30, 2013
So I have a 17k pool and bought the Circupool RJ-45. My controller is a Jandy Iaqualink 2.0. I was about to hook up the RJ-45 until a pool professional said when I have the spa running in spa mode it would produce too much chlorine since the RJ-45 does not talk to the Jandy system. He mentioned if I used a Jandy cell (Truclear I believe), I could set the cell to produce at a lower amount when in spa mode and then at a higher rate when in pool mode? Is this really an issue? The RJ-45 is so highly rated and long lasting i was excited to buy and install, Conversely I can't find much good about the Truclear system (Jandy) with many saying it is finicky, stops working, or doesn't produce enough chlorine.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated...

Bob,

He is correct, but it is not that big a deal.. Just add the SWCG to the plumbing that feeds the pool. I assume that you have a spillover spa so it will also keep you spar chlorinated.

When in the spa mode you will not get any extra chlorine in the spa, but that should not be an issue unless you plan to spend hours in the spa.

You see this all the time with the location of tab feeders..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Tell your Pool Professional to learn to do PoolMath.

Let's say you keep your pool and spa at CYA 70. The RJ45 will put out 2 lbs of chlorine a day. A typical pool needs 3 ppm of FC a day. That is running the RJ-45 at 20% if your pump runs 24/7.

Now lets assume your spa is 500 gallons. At CYA 70 you are safe to swim until you have FC of 28.

When you switch to spa mode the RJ-45 at 20% will generate 4 ppm an hour of chlorine. So if you keep your pool at a FC of 7 you can run your spa and stay in it for 5 hours before it gets overchlorinated.

Who stays in their spa for over 4 to 5 hours?

Or you can do what Jim suggests above. Either way it is not a problem.

Thanks for the replies. That is what my gut said. Yes, I have a spillover spa, so when the pool is running 8 hours a day it runs over from the spa into the pool. When in spa mode it just recirculates to the spa with no spillover. Every now and then we leave the spa running for multiple hours (at a party) but that is by far the exception when we use the spa, which rarely lasts over 1 to 1.5 hours with heat up and soak time total.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.