Question about safe chlorine levels

kmandeville

Jun 1, 2020
Dracut, MA
The cya chart says that at a cya of 40 I should maintain between 5-7 ppm of chlorine. But most places I read say anything above 5 or 6 is unsafe. I am finishing a SLAM process (I think I'm finished lol) so my chlorine level is up around 10 right now, waiting for it to come down to a safe level. Is 6 or 7 safe when the liquid chlorine bottle says it's not?

With a CYA of 40, it is safe to be in the water when the FC is no higher than 16, so you are more than fine. Remember, the generic pool industry FC level recommendations are based on very generic, almost antiquated standards and often do not properly account for the FC/CYA relationship. The elevated FC is safe as long as there is an adequate amount of CYA in the water.

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

The active chlorine in a pool at SLAM level FC is less than that in a public pool at 1 ppm FC and 0 CYA.

Thank you! Rather than start a new thread I'll ask here since it's sort of related. I finally tested my TA, I hadn't before. It's at 30. pH is low around 7. Should I raise those levels? Do I buy oh up? Use baking soda? Or soda ash?

Thank you! Rather than start a new thread I'll ask here since it's sort of related. I finally tested my TA, I hadn't before. It's at 30. pH is low around 7. Should I raise those levels? Do I buy oh up? Use baking soda? Or soda ash?
Yes,

Start by raising TA to about 60. Give it an hour or two (brushing helps speed it up) to mix with the pump on and see what the pH is then. If it's at 7.2 or better, you're done. Otherwise, you need to raise pH.

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.