Question about replacing Pentair Pump

ChadS44

Jun 2, 2020
Missouri
Hi everyone, I needing to replace an older Pentair variable speed pump (011018). I’m looking at a newer Pentair VSF pump (011056). My question is, can I simply unscrew the plumbing and switch this out without having to raise or lower the incoming or outgoing pipes? I can order this online, nobody local has it available. Hopefully it’s an easy replacement, as local pool companies are booked out for weeks. Thanks for your help.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
A straight swap. Assuming you have pump unions. You may want to replace the pump side of the union, but they may be fine when unscrewed from the old pump.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Chad,

Show us a pic of the pump.. I really doubt your pump is installed with pump unions.. They look like this..

If you don't have unions, you will have to cut the pipe in order to get the old pump out.

Assuming that you do not have unions, I would strongly suggest that you use them to install your new pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

ChadS44

Jun 2, 2020
Missouri
Chad,

Show us a pic of the pump.. I really doubt your pump is installed with pump unions.. They look like this..

If you don't have unions, you will have to cut the pipe in order to get the old pump out.

Assuming that you do not have unions, I would strongly suggest that you use them to install your new pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
A7A98114-CBE8-4ABC-A8A8-5060EBC0575E.jpeg
This is what I’m working with. Think these will unscrew?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
No. They will need to be cut off and the system rebuilt with pump unions.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Chad,

They will unscrew from your pump, but only after you cut the pipe..

Buy the unions and it will make the install very easy.

Thanks,

Jim R.

ChadS44

Jun 2, 2020
Missouri
No. They will need to be cut off and the system rebuilt with pump unions.
Thanks. So just to clarify, will I need to rebuilt back to these existing unions that I’ve highlighted in red? Can I just cut the vertical pipe and use a coupling at the spot I’ve highlighted in yellow?

Attachments

• 72F2F7F8-6904-43C6-B25B-1A411E251084.jpeg
    72F2F7F8-6904-43C6-B25B-1A411E251084.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 8

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Can I just cut the vertical pipe and use a coupling at the spot I’ve highlighted in yellow?
Yes. That will work for the pressure side. The suction side has a check valve in the way. Rarely do pool systems need a check valve on the suction side, so you might consider removing that and then you will have room to rebuild and install the pump union.

ChadS44

Jun 2, 2020
Missouri
Yes. That will work for the pressure side. The suction side has a check valve in the way. Rarely do pool systems need a check valve on the suction side, so you might consider removing that and then you will have room to rebuild and install the pump union.
Thanks. I believe the check valve is there because of the incline from the pool to the pump. I was having issues losing prime.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

alf1096

Jun 22, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
or just replace the motor....cheaper and no plumbing involved.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.