Question about replacing Pentair Pump

ChadS44

Jun 2, 2020
Missouri
Hi everyone, I needing to replace an older Pentair variable speed pump (011018). I’m looking at a newer Pentair VSF pump (011056). My question is, can I simply unscrew the plumbing and switch this out without having to raise or lower the incoming or outgoing pipes? I can order this online, nobody local has it available. Hopefully it’s an easy replacement, as local pool companies are booked out for weeks. Thanks for your help.

A straight swap. Assuming you have pump unions. You may want to replace the pump side of the union, but they may be fine when unscrewed from the old pump.

Chad,

Show us a pic of the pump.. I really doubt your pump is installed with pump unions.. They look like this..

If you don't have unions, you will have to cut the pipe in order to get the old pump out.

Assuming that you do not have unions, I would strongly suggest that you use them to install your new pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chad,

Show us a pic of the pump.. I really doubt your pump is installed with pump unions.. They look like this..

If you don't have unions, you will have to cut the pipe in order to get the old pump out.

Assuming that you do not have unions, I would strongly suggest that you use them to install your new pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
A7A98114-CBE8-4ABC-A8A8-5060EBC0575E.jpeg
This is what I’m working with. Think these will unscrew?

No. They will need to be cut off and the system rebuilt with pump unions.
Thanks. So just to clarify, will I need to rebuilt back to these existing unions that I’ve highlighted in red? Can I just cut the vertical pipe and use a coupling at the spot I’ve highlighted in yellow?

Attachments

• 72F2F7F8-6904-43C6-B25B-1A411E251084.jpeg
    72F2F7F8-6904-43C6-B25B-1A411E251084.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 8
Can I just cut the vertical pipe and use a coupling at the spot I’ve highlighted in yellow?
Yes. That will work for the pressure side. The suction side has a check valve in the way. Rarely do pool systems need a check valve on the suction side, so you might consider removing that and then you will have room to rebuild and install the pump union.

Yes. That will work for the pressure side. The suction side has a check valve in the way. Rarely do pool systems need a check valve on the suction side, so you might consider removing that and then you will have room to rebuild and install the pump union.
Thanks. I believe the check valve is there because of the incline from the pool to the pump. I was having issues losing prime.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.