Question about Pipe Going Into Pump Inlet - Is this CPVC?

Jun 16, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
I had made an earlier post about replacing my old single speed pump. I ended up being able to answer most of my questions by researching other posts on this site. One thing that I'm unclear about is the gray pipe that goes into the inlet of my existing pump. I'm assuming that this is CPVC (or some other higher temperature pipe), but I'm not sure. I will likely have to cut this when installing the new one. There is also a spigot (for draining I guess?). I never use it and am wondering if it's okay to remove this. I may have to cut it out depending on how the new pump fits. Is it okay to just use a regular PVC coupling on the CPVC and transition to regular PVC, and will this glue okay with normal PVC solvent? For the inlet and outlet connections, I'll be using unions.

IMG_3293.jpg

I would definitely advise against putting a spigot on the suction side of the pump. You're just asking for trouble with suction air leaks. Those spigots are notorious for leaking. If you want to use one, put it after the pump and before the filter, or you can just use a 3 way valve instead. Those high temp unions are the way to go for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.