Question about my Pentair VSP pump....

daddyslim6

Aug 12, 2020
Dallas Ga
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey everyone - Pool noob of one year here. Thanks again for all your help over the first year of our pool ownership. Have a quick question that hopefully someone can help with. We live in Georgia and power goes off frequently in our subdivision when weather is bad. Our equipment is wired to an EasyTouch 8 but I am curious what would I do if we lose power due to freezing temps and/or snow? We have a 5k watt generator that has both 120 and 240 plug ins but not sure how I would connect that to the our Pentair VSP pump? Is there a way to do that and if not, is there anything we can do with our generator to keep pump running? We also have a Heyward heater hooked to our ET8, but mainly just worried about the pump if we lose power for a few days. I have very little pool equipment experience and very little generator experience.

You guys are awesome! Thank you in advance!

As far as power outages go, I have had a few and the only thing I have to do when things come back on is reset the date/time on my ET8 with the SLConfig app on my phone. I can also reset it on the panel but the phone just seems easier. Otherwise, the ET8 seems to handle them pretty good. It saves the SWG settings, heater settings, all of that so that doesn't have to be reset every time.

So I have a ET8 as well and the way mine is wired into my house is via a 50Amp circuit from the main panel. Then in the ET8 it takes that 50Amp circuit and splits that into my pumps and heater and all of that stuff. So for my generator setup, I had the electrician wire it up so that when I plug in my generator to my main panel, then it feeds specific circuits in that panel. One of which is my pool's 50Amp circuit.

Reactions: daddyslim6
If you lose power and it is freezing temps then there are 2 drain plugs on the pump, near the bottom. You can turn by hand or you may need a pliers to grip. One drains the basket and the other drains the pump impeller housing.
In addition, it would be good to drain your filter and your heater. The heater drain is normally close to the inlet or outlet pipes.
Be sure to flip the breakers as well to OFF so when power is restored, the pump will not start.

Reactions: daddyslim6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.