Question about iron in fill water

batesjer

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 26, 2019
East Lansing michigan
This is preemptive but I'm assuming at some point in the near future I will need to add water to maintain my water level in the pool (it's finally stopped raining in mid-Michigan). My water quality report from the city shows iron present (.02-.1 ppm). http://www.meridian.mi.us/home/showdocument?id=18569 I searched this site to see any recommendations for filter attachments for my hose but came up empty. Are filters recommended and if so any particular brands that are better at filtering out hard metals from the water? Thanks everyone.

Welcome to both of you! :wave: Yes ....... pre-filter new well water as much as possible. The more iron you remove the better before it hits the chlorine. Many folks pre-filter by going through a 5-gal bucket filled with polyfill. That's probably the most common DIY method, although you may find some aftermarket products. Take a look at these pages:

Last edited:
If the water coming from your well is quite clear, you will not get much help from ANY mechanical filtration. The soluble iron molecules are too small and pass right through most all mechanical filters.

Now, if the iron in your water precipitates and becomes visible, then a mechanical filter, including your pool filter, can filter it out........unless, that visible iron sticks to your pool surfaces.

Is it safe to assume that nothing is going to remove 100% of the iron in the water but can greatly reduce the levels?
That is probably a good way of looking at it. You do the best you can with the tools available, but inevitably some iron may slip through. For the residual stuff, you manage the FC & pH wisely and consider using a good HEDP-based sequestrant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.