Feb 26, 2022
Fullerton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP Community,

Long time lurker and first-time poster. (This website saved me from my green monster pool last year! šŸ˜Š). I am in the process of picking out a new pool pump since the one I currently have is on its last legs. Itā€™s a Hayward Super II 0.75HP. My pool has no spa or special features. The pump is strictly running to clean the pool and disperse chlorine. I have a 16k gallon, in-ground plaster pool. There is 230V of power.

I am leaning towards the Pentair Intelliflo3 VSF w I/O Board and I want to also get a SWCG. Based off the forum posts, the SWCG should be sized for 2x pool size so the IC40 seems appropriate. I want some level of automation but I donā€™t want to buy a separate automation center like the Intellicenter. It seems like the Intelliflo3 gets me there but it is unclear to what extent it gets me there. Additionally, itā€™s not clear if I can get away with not having the separate power center for the IC40 (seems possible from a forum thread I read but itā€™s not straight forward). Iā€™m hoping the community can connect the dots for me on all of this. These are my questions:

-If I get the Intelliflo3 w/ I/O Board and the IC40, will I still need to buy the power center for the IC40 or will the pump be able to power the IC40?

-If I connect the IC40 to one of the relays on the Intelliflo3 with no Intellicenter, what level of control will I have on the Pentair app to control the IC40, if any?

-If there is basically 0 automation or coordination between the Intelliflo3 and the IC40 and they donā€™t ā€œtalkā€ to each other, should I opt then for a cheaper pump such as the Superflo VST?

-The Intelliflo3 comes in the 1.5HP and the 3HP. It seems the consensus is ā€œbigger is betterā€ so that you can run your pool at the lowest RPM possible so long as I am willing to pay the price difference. Is this understanding correct?

Thank you in advance. Let me know if you need me to provide more info.

The IntelliChlor needs a Power Center, or an Automation system with an internal Power Center..

The app will not have any control over the IntelliChlor.

The bigger the pump the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Jsh618
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.