Question about FC use

Dmanderson21

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2016
Missouri City, TX
Hi everyone - we built a pool and finished it back in October. I've been using the trouble free method to maintain ever since with very little issue or headache so thank you all for your help!

Recently the weather has gotten a bit cooler and we even dipped in to the upper 30s here in Houston. Ever since then my FC usage per day has almost been nonexistent. Three days in a row now my FC has tested at the same rate without adding any bleach to the pool. I know usage will go down in the winter but this feels odd to me so wanted to know if it's possible for the DPD powder (taylor test kit) to go bad or something.

The water temperature is about 60 degrees and it's been cloudy on and off so I know this all contributes to low usage but 0 usage doesn't make sense to me and am looking for any guidance yall can offer regarding options to alternatively test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum and congrats the new pool.

It isn't your reagent for certain and the non usage of FC is perfectly normal and expected. It won't hurt you much now as long as your water temp stays in the 50s, but your Cya is a little on the high side. Algae doesn't like water temps that low, so it won't grow or reproduce as usual, but its still judicious to maintain the good FC level you have now. Keeping all things about where they are, you'll be fine until it starts to warm as your numbers look good overall, and you"ll likely have the Cya down by then. Lastly, just make sure you don't increase it by adding any products containing Cyanuric Acid.

Thanks so much! The builder added a bunch of cya before transferring to me and it's been at 60 ever since. I'm hoping it'll come down by spring.

The water looks perfect so if it's not uncommon to have a low usage when the temps drop then I won't worry much. Since this is the first winter I've had the pool I'm just not sure what to expect. Appreciate the response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using almost not FC right now here in FL. It is nice! LOL

I keep a log of all of my test results with notes about the weather like heavy rain, full sun, big wind with lots of leaves, etc. I found that helped me see any patterns.

With you just starting out you are just now finding your baseline. This will be very helpful in the future.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.