Cedar Park, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Ok, after being up and running for about a month now I am feeling some level of confidence about my ability to maintain my pool in the TFP way.

My numbers all seem to be in range on poolmath with the exception of my CH number which stays consistently just out of range on the low side. Is this something I should try to raise, or is my fill water likely to do it once it gets hotter and I lose more water to evaporation? Poolmath says to add 21lbs of calcium chloride to get to 450 from 275.

Second question...we've had water in the pool for just under 3 months since Feb 10 when it was finished by the builder. We've been through the heavy oak pollen season but I don't see much difference in system pressure on the gauge. Is there a suggested frequency of cleaning the cartridges after a new build. My neighbor does two cartridge cleans per season - once in February before pollen season and once about now after it's over. Curious what everyone else here does. Same question about cleaning the SWG. When do I need to do that?

Thanks!

My filter and SWCG have only one season on them - the filter manual says to clean when pressure climbs 10 lbs above original clean. There's even a handy adjustable indicator on the pressure relief valve to remind me. After an entire season (April-Oct), and LOTS of things to filter, pressure was barely up. So I cleaned just before putting it all to bed for the winter. They can capture a LOT of stuff before needing to be cleaned.
The SWCG - only when you either notice a white buildup of deposits on it, or you have to keep bumping up the "strength" even though the weather hasn't changed much. Cleaning can be hard on them, and also shortens their life - so do only when needed.

Reactions: DrivenPT
My filter and SWCG have only one season on them - the filter manual says to clean when pressure climbs 10 lbs above original clean. There's even a handy adjustable indicator on the pressure relief valve to remind me. After an entire season (April-Oct), and LOTS of things to filter, pressure was barely up. So I cleaned just before putting it all to bed for the winter. They can capture a LOT of stuff before needing to be cleaned.
The SWCG - only when you either notice a white buildup of deposits on it, or you have to keep bumping up the "strength" even though the weather hasn't changed much. Cleaning can be hard on them, and also shortens their life - so do only when needed.
Dumb question but I assume to check the SWG you have to take it off and look inside?

Dumb question but I assume to check the SWG you have to take it off and look inside?
Can't speak for all - but mine is inside a clear tube, so easy to look at. Most are pretty easy to take off the plumbing to peer directly into it to get a better view. I take mine off completely for over wintering. But in climates where one doesn't worry about freezing, they only need to be checked every couple of years - and maybe yearly after they get to be 4-5 years old. Environments with really high CA or CSI may necessitate a little more often.

My numbers all seem to be in range
How are you testing? Enable sharing of your PoolMath logs.

is my fill water likely to do it once it gets hotter and I lose more water to evaporation?
What's the CH of your fill water? Most likely your CH will slowly rise over the summer due to evaporation and fill water usage. CH of 275 is a bit low, but acceptable especially if it will increase over the summer.

Is there a suggested frequency of cleaning the cartridges after a new build.
25% over clean pressure. What model filter do you have? Put disposable hairnets on your skimmer basket(s). I clean my filter once a year, although I could stretch it to 18 months.

Same question about cleaning the SWG. When do I need to do that?
Never, if you manage your water chemistry. My cell is almost four years old and has zero buildup. Maintain a slightly negative CSI (0.0 to -0.3).

Last edited:
the filter manual says to clean when pressure climbs 10 lbs above original clean. There's even a handy adjustable indicator on the pressure relief valve to remind me.
Don't use that. Let's say clean PSI at full RPM is 20. +10 is a 50% rise. For VS pumps on low speed, many see 5 PSI and +10 is a 200% rise. Forget every pool in the land, the *same* pool can have 2 entirely different outcomes from the one pointer doohickie. And the low range +50% is too much for many.

Use 25% instead because that's specific to your baseline PSI, no matter what it is. Clean at your earliest convenience because the more it goes above that, the closer you have to watch for the inevitable flow restriction.

These filter doohickies are the industry one size fits all-ing, across every pool in the land, like they do. It's terrible advice as always.

How are you testing? Enable sharing of your PoolMath logs.

What's the CH of your fill water? Most likely your CH will slowly rise over the summer due to evaporation and fill water usage. CH of 275 is a bit low, but acceptable especially if it will increase over the summer.

25% over clean pressure. What model filter do you have? Put disposable hairnets on your skimmer basket(s). I clean my filter once a year, although I could stretch it to 18 months.

Never, if you manage your water chemistry. My cell is almost four years old and has zero buildup. Maintain a slightly negative CSI (0.0 to -0.3).

I have a TF-100 salt that I use for testing.

Was actually trying to figure out how to enable sharing of pool math logs but was not successful. How do I do that?

Upper right corner settings / cog.

Scroll to the bottom and enable sharing. You have to be signed into PM with your TFP credentials and it'll then appear on your profile. Click on my member name as an example and see 'pool math logs' in blue at the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support