Queasy first time pool owner (new house)

TwinsPool

Silver Supporter
Oct 3, 2021
Los Angeles
Wow, I am so happy I found a forum of helpful, friendly and knowledgeable pool people!

I have many questions, not only about getting the pool back in shape, but also about my pump, filter and heater (which I hope you can help me with later).

The basic situation: I've owned the house about a week, and I know it hasn't been attended to for at least a month and needs attention right away. The water seems relatively clear. There may be some algae, but I'm not sure due to the dark color of the pool (it's a plaster pool by the way). I have doubts as to whether the pump is running when I am not there -- there seems to be a timer involved, but I will ask about that later. We are not living there yet due to many renovations that are required, so I am concerned that I may not be able to do a proper SLAM, but it needs some sort of shock(s) to at least halt its downward spiral. (FYI, I visit the house every evening during the week and afternoons on weekends.) I plan to order the T-100 kit later today (Sunday), so it will take a few days to get to California (can anyone estimate how long?). While waiting, I opted to at least get some sort of readings using (gulp!) test strips and possibly start some sort of treatment. I've read enough of TFP to know that the results (even from lowly test strips) look pretty bad. Here are the results:

Total Hardness: 1000 (the highest on the strip)
Total Chlorine: 0
Free Chlorine: 0
pH: 8.4 (the highest on the strip)
Total Alkalinity: 120 (from the App interpretation of the photographed test strip, although it actually looks intermediate between the 120 and 180 color pads to me)
Cyanuric Acid: 100 (neighboring color pads are 50 and 150)

I used AquaChek test strips and the phone App that goes with it. I also used test strips from Pool Time, which gave the same results.

I did have the foresight today to buy 3 very large jugs of simple bleach (7.5%, no additives) at the grocery store and a gallon of muriatic acid at a pool store, but I have not done anything with them yet pending your much needed advice.

I estimate my oddly shaped pool to be approximately 19,000 gallons.

What should I do first, and how to actually go about it? From other areas of TFP I have read to bring the pH down first, then attack the FC level. What about the high hardness and CYA levels - do I ever do anything about those? And what's the procedure for adding acid and/or chlorine (for example, how fast to add it to the return, and when to measure level afterward, and how many times)? Should I aim for some sort of modified SLAM treatment, maybe multiple shocks (given that I don't sleep there and can't measure first thing in the morning)? I have the Pool Math app but haven't gone into it yet.

My apologies for the long first post and all the questions. Many thanks for whatever help you can send my way. The previous pool guy left his card, but I think with TFP's help, I can do at least as well or better. Anyway, I'm a DIY type of guy and always want to know how my stuff works.

Welcome to TFP 🤩
Until u get your kit in you are kinda flying blind. Blind “shocking” is a bad idea & can lead to equipment damage & wasting chems.
The strips have such broad values it is nearly impossible to use them to follow the FC/CYA Levels & Recommended Levels
For now…
Use PoolMath to calculate & add 5ppm/day of liquid chlorine. Pour it slowly in front of the return & brush it around if u wish. The same goes for Muriatic acid- aim for 7.6 or so then readjust when u get more accurate testing results. You don’t want to accidentally tank your ph but one dose until your kit arrives will probably be fine.
Shipping is quite fast usually so this is only a temporary measure to keep things from getting worse over the next few days.
Also no need to waste efforts/ chemicals if you may need to do a water exchange based on your testing results. You’re just holding what u have for now.
Test strips are notoriously inaccurate so making major changes based on them isn’t a great idea.
Here’s some homework While u wait for your kit:
read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
& maybe peruse 👇
Draining - Further Reading to get an idea of what a water exchange may look like for u.
Also Input all your info in PoolMath
& turn on log sharing in the settings,
fill out your signature as best you can
- these things help us help u quickly & give more detailed advice.
You can post your results here when u get them & lots of folks will be here to help 😊

Reactions: TwinsPool
Thanks so much for the suggestions.
Later today I will make a donation, order the test kit, fill out the signature and get started on slowly adding some acid and bleach (other fires to put out right now).
Hopefully I can get the pump started without incident.
The level of water is about 2" above going dry at the skimmer basket, but I will watch that.

I have a thread for you to read over to keep the kids and kid's friends safe:

Here is the best pool toy every! https://www.amazon.com/Watermelon-B...ocphy=1015213&hvtargid=pla-378530778693&psc=1

I am sure you have seen some of these pool care links but want to make sure you see them all:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

When you are living there and can drain some of the water and replace it make sure to ask your water department about getting a break on the cost of the water as it is for a pool. SOme will give a break on the cost of the water about once a year.

Yup, 9 year old twins (boy and girl). They're the best. Avid swimmers, so this first-time pool will be a dream come true for them. And the sooner I get the pool ready, the sooner they'll re-crown me the best dad ever.👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👑😁
Hi and welcome! Congrats on the new house and the new pool. My son is also 9 but not an avid swimmer! :cool: We're working on it though. I don't have anything super helpful to add, just saying hi. These folks will have you fixed up right as rain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.