Quality Pool Poles? Average life expectancy?

kcindc

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 2, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Is it me, or do pool poles only last a few years. It looks like mine has lasted 6 years. The tip where there are holes for the attachments just seem to get bent/stretched out so that my attachments no longer stay attached.

Any tips/tricks or quality poles?

Thanks!

Admittedly, I don't use mine a lot, but my pole is not showing much sign of wear at all on the attachment end. Mine is only stuck at it's current length because the extend twist/lock is pretty seized up. Could probably get it open with a couple wrenches... I have an older, blue aluminum pole. Maybe that's why it's lasting, it's older and they don't make em like they used to! Neighbor has a newer black aluminum pole that's pretty solid as well. Only issue with that was the center twist lock was coming loose from the pole. Reglued with rubber/plastic cement and good as new.

Maybe the plaster gives a lot more resistance and tends to wear out the pole end faster than vinyl.

I'm at 4 years on my cheapo aluminum pole with twist lock. The twist lock barely works and the pole is pretty banged up. The end still holds onto components fine enough but I think I'm done with it at the end of the season. My manual vacuum head finally gave up the ghost last week and my wall whale brush needs new bristles. So I'll be looking for some end of season sales on a new pole, brush head and vacuum.

I've decided to go anodized aluminum as opposed to fiberglass for a pole and I'm looking for one that does 6' to 12' extension. All of them seem to use the twist lock mechanism which is, sadly, easily prone to failure.

I kept getting those blue poles until finally the last one I got bled blue paint all over my hands. I decided it was time for a good pole. I ended up getting a Skimlite brand, Dually 9016. They're really for pool pro's but they're made so well, I went for it anyway. They are made from a thicker/sturdier aluminum which works really well with brushing, and works great when using a leaf rake. Since they alumiminum is higher quality, the pole is a little heavier than the pool store kind. But I don't think a guy would have any problem with it. I got mine about 8 years ago so I can't remember where I got it from but got a decent deal. Most places I think they're around $100. Check out this site, has them for a good price too: https://www.wholesalepoolmart.com/index.php/purity-pool-m-65 They show the Dually I have plus some others like the Eliptilock, another great pole.

They also show the Purity Pools leaf rake which I have but looks like they're out of stock on that, but could probably get it on Amazon. That's where I got Purity Pools leaf rake: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VLB6NY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i still have the 27 yr old original aluminum pole that the pool builder provided, although i did replace the cracked twist lock a few years ago. I did buy a second one at that time so my "helpers" didn't have an excuse. hehe. of course i have used many more nets.

Seems like some of the colored aluminum poles are cheaply anodized and do not have their surfaces properly sealed if they are leaving dye on your hands. There are cheap ways to anodize and add colorant and more expensive ways to do it that last longer. The difference in price may provide some indication of which is which.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.