Qs re: not opening pool

Sep 8, 2018
Washington nc
I am a travel nurse who was looking forward to doing home 1st week of. May and opening and enjoying my pool for a while before I left for a other assignment. I live in NC.

With the uncertainty of what's going on, I feel it would almost be irresponsible of me to take a couple months off when so many people are out of work. I don't really have anyone who can maintain pool for an extended period of time if I opened my pool. My neighborhood experiences frequent power surges, which I learned the hard way turns my pump/filter off which has to be manually turned back on at control panel. I have yet to find a reliable way to use my smart home devices to notify me when surges happen so I can have a friend go hit the button.

If I were to not open this year, what things do I need to do to thwart any possible damage?

How was your pool closed? equipment drained? Water level lowered? Cover on pool?

You can leave pool closed. You do need to check pool water level occasionally and lower it after lots of rain.

Best not to leave a submersible pump in the pool. Most of the inexpensive ones are not made to be permanently submerged and can begin to rust and stain the pool. It can also siphon off water if off.

Keep your pool closed and check the water level whenever you return. That’s the best you can do.

Thanks for the response. I dont get home often enough for me to run the pump. I have it sitting on the lounging ledge so it keeps it below overflowing but it is over the skimmers. I got gizmos in them, so hopefully it won't over flow too much in lines. If the pump just siphoned the water to where it's at, that wouldn't actually be too bad. I'm just afraid of what the water will look like sitting dormant for a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.