Jul 6, 2019
Jonesborough, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello again.
I am wanting to build a set of steps out of pvc pipe and boards to put in the pool. I have seen Photos of them. But not exactly for stairs or a pool. Has anyone ever built anything like this before.

Attachments

• 21D3F16F-2EFF-4530-8019-664A0C7B68C9.png
    21D3F16F-2EFF-4530-8019-664A0C7B68C9.png
    936.6 KB · Views: 10
It looks to me like those steps were designed to help a small dog get into that bed. I’m not sure what your thoughts are for these steps, but there is no way that PVC pipe would be structurally strong enough to support a human. If you’re looking for pet stairs that might work, but really, either way I think wood might be a better option.

I have seen them built i was thinking filling the pipes with concrete to sink them and then using pad planks for treads. That should make them sturdy enough I think. dont you

I have been thinking seriously about building this in my pool. Kind of inline with what you want to do.

Make sure to to block off the underside so that there is no risk for entrapment.

We considered something like this at first, but then decided against it. PVC pipes have a fairly low weight bearing capability. A 1' section of 2" PVC can only bear 70lbs (Pipe Load Guide). Even if you have the weight distributed over 4 pipes (made in a square to rest a step on it), a 1x1 foot square of PVC pipe can only hold 280lbs. Now... if you're filling them with sand, water, concrete, etc, to sink them, you will have to deduct the weight of whatever you fill the pipes with from that max load. According to the googles, if you use sand, a 12"x2" cilinder of sand weighs about 12.75 pounds, so you'd lose 51lbs in weight bearing in each step just from the filled PVC pipes alone.
Now... 12 inches by 12 inches is a small step... but the longer you make the PVC sections, the less weight bearing capacity they have.

Long story short... I would not recommend it. Probably OK for pets and small children, but I would not consider this a safe option for adults.

Reactions: splashpad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.