PVC size for new pump

whatdidigetmyselfinto

Jun 6, 2019
Ottawa, ON
I am asking/trying to answer similar questions.

I had an EcoStar Pump that died and I had the option to replace it with the 2.7HP or 1.85HP VSP and went with the 1.85HP version simply because the 1.5 plumbing I have would not be able to sustain the GPM of the powerful pump anyways. I never ran my old pump past 2000 RPM and generally even in lower settings.

I was thinking of doing an upgrade on the equipment pad going from 1.5->2 also replacing flex PVC->Rigid. Flex->rigid is not a good idea for Ottawa. Only the 1.5->2 is. In general it is best not good to convert back and forth. Then the ideal would be sticking with 2" all around the equipment and converting once for supply and return.

Assuming if space allows for it, what would also help is
- replacing 90 degree tight turns with sweeps
- respecting straight line requirements of various equipment. In your case I see for example you have no straight pipe before your pump suction end which I hear is not great.

I think adding a flow meter is a great idea as well if you are doing an update but they aren't cheap...

I am asking/trying to answer similar questions.

I had an EcoStar Pump that died and I had the option to replace it with the 2.7HP or 1.85HP VSP and went with the 1.85HP version simply because the 1.5 plumbing I have would not be able to sustain the GPM of the powerful pump anyways. I never ran my old pump past 2000 RPM and generally even in lower settings.

I was thinking of doing an upgrade on the equipment pad going from 1.5->2 also replacing flex PVC->Rigid. Flex->rigid is not a good idea for Ottawa. Only the 1.5->2 is. In general it is best not good to convert back and forth. Then the ideal would be sticking with 2" all around the equipment and converting once for supply and return.

Assuming if space allows for it, what would also help is
- replacing 90 degree tight turns with sweeps
- respecting straight line requirements of various equipment. In your case I see for example you have no straight pipe before your pump suction end which I hear is not great.

I think adding a flow meter is a great idea as well if you are doing an update but they aren't cheap...
The question?

The larger the VSP the slower it can be run to move a given amount of water. This is one of the few times bigger is better in pool equipment.
And the slower the pump runs the quieter it will be. Thus bigger pump will be quieter.

At slow speeds the diameter of the pipe becomes less important. You just dial in the required speed for the conditions. I've installed a Hayward 2.7hp VSP (the only other one available was a Pentair VSP 3.0thp) on old pools with 1" return lines, set a good speed (very slow) and a long run time with excellent results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.