PVC fountain in Polaris port

So you may have realized by now -that you don't screw the main piece in all the way, turn several rounds to get it threaded in good, then you tighten the lock ring down (by hand) so that the main piece won't unscrew. Then when you want it out - loosen the lock ring and the main part will turn right out, it should never be tightened all the way down or bottom out on the threads. In just far enough to make solid threads and then the lock ring holds it in place.

I think even in the video the guy screws it in too far. Leave enough room for your lock ring to turn a couple of rounds and have room to work with.

So you may have realized by now -that you don't screw the main piece in all the way, ust several rounds to get it threaded in good, then you tighten the lock ring down (by hand) so that the main piece won't unscrew

I have to check mine out as well. I only turn a few turns and do not believe the lock rick is that tight either. Never has the unit been difficult to remove. Even my return jets are not super tight as I have seen people break things. At least the piece is finally out.

I am having the same issue - tried it with the washcloth and it broke off. Not sure how I can get it out now. Guess I'll have to call someone to come out to get it out. It won't turn or budge at all.

IMG_2461.jpg

I am having the same issue - tried it with the washcloth and it broke off. Not sure how I can get it out now. Guess I'll have to call someone to come out to get it out. It won't turn or budge at all.

View attachment 67375

Vice grips on that should get it tight enough to be able to turn. Catch it right at the shallowest part and twist - it might snap so you can then pull it out. The dangerous way is a hack saw blade - saw through the pvc - but you want to stop before you get into the threads of the fitting built in to the wall.

I'd think this is the very danger of any of those fountains that screw into a return - was too easy to be grabbed on to by a kid or anyone swimming by - you'll never know how or where it's going to snap off.

I'd think this is the very danger of any of those fountains that screw into a return - was too easy to be grabbed on to by a kid or anyone swimming by - you'll never know how or where it's going to snap off.

Where is your lock ring? And yes, they are dangerous with kids. I only use my fountain aerate the water and nothing else as I have the same concern. Regarding the cutting out with hack saw, I would only cut enough of the plastic to weaken the fitting, but this may not even work as you are in water. My fountain goes under water and is near the diving board so the kids really stay away from it while they are in the pool.

Great idea, but as we see sometimes not the best thing for a pool.

I personally just use a large flathead screwdriver and a hammer and beat it out. Sometimes I can beat it unscrewed, sometimes I just have to break it out. Gotta be careful not to slip and damage the pool either way though.

The manufacturer should really place a warning label on the box or inside in bright orange. In addition, upload a video to You Tube. Mine came out yesterday, but when I tighten the lock ring, could not budge. So unscrewed the whole piece and out of the pool, the lock ring was fine. Lesson to be learned is do not over tighten. I doubt the whole unit will keep spinning and 365 degrees to fall into the pool. And if this happened, no big deal.

Man I've worried about this happening to mine, the kids breaking them. I get a 10 degree drop in the water spraying back into the pool, I use 4 watering wand heads, 2 per return. I use a union joint i can loosen to allow them to rotate under water when I go to close my pool for the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.