putting d.e. in sand filter

Mar 6, 2008
can someone tell me how to properly put d.e. in a sand filter?? i'm pretty sure that i need to add d.e. after swimming at night and seeing all those particles floating around near the light, yet my pool is crystal clear. i just brought a 25 lb bag as it was all the pool store carry. thanks for your info. the skimmer sock was not doing the job quick enough. i put the sock on and the next day it was extrmely dirty. im afraid of messing up my pump if i continue using the sock.

Well, the sock is definitely doing it's job :) If you want to supplement the sand with DE, mix 1 cup in a gallon of water and add it to the skimmer - wait 20 min and see how much more the pressure is reading on the gauge. Add 1 cup/ 1 gal until you see the pressure on the gauge is 1 psi higher than when you started - keep track of how much it took to get the 1 psi rise and just use that same amount in the future all at once.

Please remember that the DE will all be backwashed out every time you clean the filter and will have to be readded each time you backwash! I'd keep using the skimmer socks 8)

Hope the De will solve your issue!!

do i have to wait 20 mins each time i put in the de? i see mostly bubbles but also some fine particles too. i know i didnt see them last year when i had the cartridge installed, and this is my 1st year with the sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.