Purple Alkalinity test?

Vikings80

Apr 10, 2019
Georgia
Hi there! I’m a brand new pool owner and just got the hth 6 way test....which I’m totally lost on even with the simple directions. Here’s why:

Total CL and BR: I got more of a goldenrod yellow which doesn’t match the guide at all
Ph: 7.2
Alkalinity test: I followed the kit directions to a T and on the 11th drop of the alkalinity titrant the water turned purple? I scoured the internet and found nothing about this!
Total Hardness: the water remained clear after adding the hardness indicator. Remained clear after adding titrant drops.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! I am not sure if I need a chlorine inhibitor that doesn’t come with the kit or if this is a crazy amount of human error.

We ask everyone to use the Taylor tests. Either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C so that we are all speaking the same language and doing the same tests the same way. If you want to hang around here and use TFPC methods I suggest you get one of those test kits.

Welcome to the forum!
The test kit you have has all the tests you need except one. You still need the FAS-DPD kit.. That lets you test FC and CC separately and at levels up to 50 ppm.
You will also find you will run out of a couple test reagents in your kit very quickly. Once you run out, I suggest considering getting the TF100 kit as it is properly sized for the residential pool owner. Also get a Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

I think watching TF100 YouTube would help in your testing.
What type of pool do you have? Can you fill out a signature? See mine below for an example.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

If your sanitizer is really high, or your pH really low, you can get strange colors on test strips and kits.

I'd be surprised if the issue is what the brand of test kit you have, despite the TF and Taylor ones being preferred. If possible I'd check expiration dates or lot numbers to see if they are expired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.