Purchasing Intelliflo EC-011028…Extended warranty with Chase card?

Dean078

Aug 9, 2019
Bethlehem, pa
Our 15yo Sta Rite Max-E-pro pump is dying…started making a loud buzzing/cicada like sound yesterday.

It’s still pumping well, and I told my wife it’s probably the impeller or motor and I can replace/fix either, but she said let’s just go ahead and upgrade to a VS pump and we’ve had our eye on the Intelliflo 3hp VS pump. I will be installing it myself since I’m handy and comfortable with PVC piping (and using unions anyway) and electrical work.

Was going to order from Amazon.com, but the prices jumped from $1299 last year up to over $1800 this year…it dropped to $1500 for a few days last week but then jumped back up to $1800 since our pump started dying. I can order it for $1400 from another online retailer, and according to the website, the “EC” version will have a 1 year parts warranty rather than just 60days for self installs.

I plan to use my Chase Explorer card for the purchase which adds another year of warranty to the end of the factory warranty.

Is there any concern that either the vendor/Pentair won’t honor the 1yr “EC” warranty, or Chase will give me a problem on the extended warranty included on the credit card? Am i worrying too much about it?

first of all, get an intellipro and there wont be any plumbing involved in the install. If i was you i would call around to local pool service companies and ask how much they would sell you an intellipro for if you do the install. Offer to pay cash and you might get a better deal. If you buy from a local pool service you will get the full warranty. Pentair makes a big deal about not giving a warranty to online retailers, so i would be cautious

first of all, get an intellipro and there wont be any plumbing involved in the install. If i was you i would call around to local pool service companies and ask how much they would sell you an intellipro for if you do the install. Offer to pay cash and you might get a better deal. If you buy from a local pool service you will get the full warranty. Pentair makes a big deal about not giving a warranty to online retailers, so i would be cautious
Ok thanks, I’m glad to hear there won’t be any plumbing involved, although I am ready for it if any minor adjustments need to be made to the piping.

I already checked local pool stores last year when I was considering switching to a VS, even while the current pump was good but the numbers/costs don’t work out unless the pump needed to be replaced, and they are much more expensive without the install…the one i mainly use (for liquid chlorine) don’t even sell Pentair pumps (they were pushing a 1-1/2hp Hayward VS on me for like $1800 before installation).

I ready up more on the “EC” warranty that Pentair offers…looks like it’s valid for authorized online retailers…anyway I think I’ll at least have a 60day + 1yr warranty on it using my Chase card.

Not that I want to have to use it…I just don’t want a $1400 paperweight if something is found defective at 61 days after purchase.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.