Pumping Problem

May 27, 2017
Woodland, AL
Problem- there appears to be no movement of water between the skimmer and the pump.

What follows is a study in stupidity… so please bear with me.

I normally just let the pool run during the winter. This winter the pump started getting loud. Not too long afterwards a tree branch fell on the pipes by the pump, damaging much of it. Everything sat not running for maybe a month. Last week I replaced the PVC pipes…. and cranked up the pump. It was loud but ran ok. I purposed to replace the pump.

Apparently, I had switched the direction of the filter so that it was back washing. It ran all night… dumping the water to the point where it was too low to pump… and burning out the motor.

I have replaced the pump motor and added water. The new pump runs, the Hayward pump is turning correctly, but water is not entering the pump basket and there is no movement of water at the skimmer. I have filled the line between the skimmer and pump with water. No difference.

What should I do?

Here are some things to check:
- Water level high enough in the pool; halfway up the skimmer
- Skimmer weir/flap operating correctly; not stuck closed
- Valves at the equipment pad all open
- Pump basket o-ring lubed with pool silicone
- Pre-fill the pump basket with water once or twice if needed to help prime

If you still aren't getting water pull, take a garden hose and push water backwards from the pump basket towards the pool skimmer to see if anything is blocking flow in the pipe.

Reactions: Charlie-P
Here are some things to check:
- Water level high enough in the pool; halfway up the skimmer
- Skimmer weir/flap operating correctly; not stuck closed
- Valves at the equipment pad all open
- Pump basket o-ring lubed with pool silicone
- Pre-fill the pump basket with water once or twice if needed to help prime

If you still aren't getting water pull, take a garden hose and push water backwards from the pump basket towards the pool skimmer to see if anything is blocking flow in the pipe.
Thank you.
I did all of the above. There is a clog in the pipe going from the pump basket to the skimmer. How do I unclog it?

The use of drain-king device that attaches to your hose has been successful. They are typically available at big box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc). Be sure to push from the pump to the skimmer at first.

Reactions: Charlie-P
The kid has forgotten to put the skimmer basket back after cleaning during maple helicopter season. Clogs have happened.

I've had some success with my shop vac. 1 1/2 inch threaded adapter to the skimmer, to 1 1/2" stand pipe attached to the shop vac hose Take the filter out of your shop vac.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.