pump wont prine

ikhan42

Jan 21, 2019
australia
hi everyone,

im a post virgin on here so please be gentle.

i just replaced a hayward sand filter and when i connected it up to the pool pump it woulsnt prime. i could here the motor but the impeller wasnt turning.

i have pulled the hayward pump out and pulled it apart. the impeller turns by hand. when i apply power the impeller doest turn but if i give it a little push it begins to run and continues to run till i turn the power off.

the bearing isnt making any noisem is this a bearing issue or a motor issue?

kinds regards
ikhan

IK,

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like a capacitor problem. If you can provide more information about your installation including pump make and model plus how old it is will help us help you.

Chris

Capacitors are pretty cheap. Be sure to discharge it before working on just in case. You can get them at most electrical supplies and even some box stores or Amazon. Just match up the characteristics printed on the outside of the case. Can you add some details on the model and age etc? While you've got everything apart it is a good idea to at least replace the seal, gaskets etc. Seal failure often happens at 4 years and leads to bearing failure. They are dirt cheap and easy to install... may get you 4 years longer with your motor.

hi all pump is a haywarx max flo 218 no manufacture date on it got it with my house 3 years ago so not sure how long they had it. i need to just say im on a disability supprt pension. i have had to put a pool fence in have had to fit house out with rails etc and have a leaking manifold on my sand filter and have neighbours who have now repirted to to the council as my pool is going green. i am good with electrical stuff and have been spinning the spindle wil a screw driver to kick start the motor but not the ideal thing for me to do.

thanks for all the help.

hi all pump is a haywarx max flo 218 no manufacture date on it got it with my house 3 years ago so not sure how long they had it. i need to just say im on a disability supprt pension. i have had to put a pool fence in have had to fit house out with rails etc and have a leaking manifold on my sand filter and have neighbours who have now repirted to to the council as my pool is going green. i am good with electrical stuff and have been spinning the spindle wil a screw driver to kick start the motor but not the ideal thing for me to do.

thanks for all the help.
You can get the capacitor delivered by Amazon for less than $30 and it's easy to replace. Add bleach per pool school recommendations and you'll get rid of the green quick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.