Pump went out. Motor still runs. Help please

I will take pictures when I get home. At this time they are quoting for a Hayward pump and motor $638.00 not including travel time or labor. They are saying the time they have in so far is 1 & 3/4 hours and their rate is $85.00 an hour.

I'm sorry but that is outrageous! If the total quote is $1100 and the motor is 638.00 that is $462.00 dollars in labor and fees! You say they charge for travel time as well? How far do they have to drive? Did the warranty company send a handyman or a pool technician?

OKay, HI,
I,m home and have taken a look at the situation. Ive ordered an impellar and a seal. That total is $80.00. So now we wait and see if these parts fix the problem. I took a look at the motor and it runs quietly. This impellar is broken in the center. It is broken in a way that it doesnt attach to the shaft ,it just spins on the shaft.

When we bought the home warranty we aggreed to pay 2 extra dollars a month to cover the pool and pump and filter.

Exactly what I thought. The guy said just for coming out yesterday,total time was 1 hr 45 minutes. said they charge drive time also.Hourly rate is $85.00. He was coming from Tulsa to Broken Arrow. It's not that far. I drive completely across Tulsa every single day and I can cover it in 20 minutes. The warranty compnay couldn't find anyone in their directory, so they asked us to find our own. The company is one that has been in Tulsa for many years. They pride themselves for their reputation. I have a feeling they are one of these companies that deal with wealthy people that simply write the check. It's a pool, if you have one then you got the money, so cough it up. We won't use them again. The first visit is automatic $25.00 trip charge as well. I checked around online and I could get a Hayward motor and pump for about $200.00 less than they are quoting. Their price is right in line with the pool stores.

The pump is Water Ace brand, He told us its basically a Walmart Pump. Sorry I don't see Walmart selling these. He may have been implying that it was Walmart quality. The Motor says Super Pump on it. 1.65 HP,3450 RPM,230 Volt.

- - - Updated - - -

So the parts are on order. Pool is GREEN !!!! Gross. We'll get it fixed tho. Paid an upgrade on the shipping for the ordered parts. Hope it makes it by the weekend, other wise the pool looks like a pond. Look Granny, we got ourselves a CEMENT POND RIGHT THAR!!!

Their final quote was $1100.00 for Motor(which we do not need)my husband told him that too,but he said cant find parts for that pump and didn't know anything about finding a pump to match that motor,took me 5 minutes to find the parts online,BTW) Pump,Travel Time,Labor and Taxes.

Last edited:
I'm glad you found a possible reasonably priced solution.

One suggestion for you (and others) is that in competitive pool markets (like Sacramento where I live) the older established independent pool stores will come and give you a price for free and then do the work at a reasonable price. This only works because the pool store business here is very competitive. It may not be true in your market. So it pays to call around to at least 3 stores before starting.

Oh and just for fun -- recouping credit card swipe fees does not violate the card issuer agreement since a 2013 court settlement -- Swipe fees are only prohibited or regulated in 10 states -- so in most places they are lawful.

Oh and just for fun -- recouping credit card swipe fees does not violate the card issuer agreement since a 2013 court settlement -- Swipe fees are only prohibited or regulated in 10 states -- so in most places they are lawful.

Swipe fees are a percentage of the transaction that banks take from retailers each time a credit card is swiped to pay for a purchase, averaging about 2 percent. The conversation concerning legality is about what is permitted by the card issuers.... and adding a SURCHARGE to the CONSUMER (not swipe charges), most likely, is not permitted...

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/business-surcharge-card-customers-1585.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.