Pump taking too long

Hi,

We put in a new variable speed pump last year, and it started out great! But we have since slowly gotten issues.
Slowly, we have notice less pressure, and a lesser volume of water coming down the waterfall.
A few days ago, I noticed the waterfall was not flowing when it should have been.
I went out and the pump was running at a low speed, but there was only a bit of water at the bottom of the basket,
and a slight trickle of water into the basket.
But when I put it all the way up to high speed, it started to suck water in and to flow.
However, the basket never got full of water. Usually, I would just see a few air bubbles at the top of the clear lid.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

but there was only a bit of water at the bottom of the basket,
and a slight trickle of water into the basket
Sounds like your pump is losing prime. Could indicate a suction side leak but not necessarily. Be careful letting it run like that or it could damage your pump.

Try taking the basket lid off and fill the basket with water if needed then turn the pump on high to regain prime. But if the basket does not stay full, turn the pump off and keep it off until someone more knowledgeable here follows up.

M,

The first thing that pops to mind is your filter is dirty.

When was the last time you cleaned it? What is your filter pressure?

Pumps tend to work, or not work, they do not tend to get weaker and weaker.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Hi,

We put in a new variable speed pump last year, and it started out great! But we have since slowly gotten issues.
Slowly, we have notice less pressure, and a lesser volume of water coming down the waterfall.
A few days ago, I noticed the waterfall was not flowing when it should have been.
I went out and the pump was running at a low speed, but there was only a bit of water at the bottom of the basket,
and a slight trickle of water into the basket.
But when I put it all the way up to high speed, it started to suck water in and to flow.
However, the basket never got full of water. Usually, I would just see a few air bubbles at the top of the clear lid.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
You get it sorted?

You get it sorted?
Hi,

Sorry. I did not get notifications on these.
No, it is still not great. I did get a new lid because the company that I bought the pump from on Amazon said it sounds like an air leak from the lid.
Well, it was not that, and they clearly just wanted me to spend more money.
Next, I need to take apart the Jandy valve to see if that needs new guts.
If not that, then I am at a loss.

Hi,

Sorry. I did not get notifications on these.
No, it is still not great. I did get a new lid because the company that I bought the pump from on Amazon said it sounds like an air leak from the lid.
Well, it was not that, and they clearly just wanted me to spend more money.
Next, I need to take apart the Jandy valve to see if that needs new guts.
If not that, then I am at a loss.
Have you cleaned the filter? That is the first place to look when pump performance seems to weaken. As Jimrahbe said, pumps work or they don't. If you disassemble the valve, be sure to lube the stem and lid O rings. Sometimes that is the source of an air leak. There is nothing in the Jandy that would cause the issue unless it is full of debris or broken, but you mention that at high speed the system improves. Do not use a power tool to tighten the 8 screws as you reassemble the valve.
Again, check the filter. Remove the cartridge, re-assemble the filter, and run the system, won't hurt anything for the short time. Symptom gone? Bad or very impacted cartridge (they do wear out).

Have you cleaned the filter? That is the first place to look when pump performance seems to weaken. As Jimrahbe said, pumps work or they don't. If you disassemble the valve, be sure to lube the stem and lid O rings. Sometimes that is the source of an air leak. There is nothing in the Jandy that would cause the issue unless it is full of debris or broken, but you mention that at high speed the system improves. Do not use a power tool to tighten the 8 screws as you reassemble the valve.
Again, check the filter. Remove the cartridge, re-assemble the filter, and run the system, won't hurt anything for the short time. Symptom gone? Bad or very impacted cartridge (they do wear out).
Hi. Yes, I clean the filter every 2 weeks.
I cleaned it today, and changed it to only suck from the main drain, and it worked much better.
Therefore, there must be something wrong from the skimmer.

Did you clean the filter and change to just the main drain at the same time? Or did you clean the filter and then test the water flow first?

Something is wrong if you have to clean your filter every two weeks.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Did you clean the filter and change to just the main drain at the same time? Or did you clean the filter and then test the water flow first?

Something is wrong if you have to clean your filter every two weeks.

Thanks,

Jim R.
HI,

I did it all at the same time. Everything was the same until I tried diverting just to the main drain instead of a combo of the main drain and skimmer.
Now the basket is full of water, and it seems good.
But that means there is some type of issue with my skimmer, or skimmer pipes. I cannot imagine how there could be a leak there.

How often do you clean your filter?
I live in the farms, and we have no screen. So we have dust, pine needles, pollen, animals,...
Plus I use a copper floater, and that goes into the filter too, but I will not stop using it. It has been a miracle at keeping algae away.

I clean my filter twice a year, but could go a whole year if I didn't have OCD. :mrgreen:

But it is not a fair comparison as I have a large cartridge filter and you have what we call a "Florida" filter which are almost always on the small side.

Even so, you should be able to go at least three months between filter cleanings.

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad so we can see the plumbing.

Have you ever used the suction pipe in the bottom of the skimmer to vacuum up leaves etc.???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I clean my filter twice a year, but could go a whole year if I didn't have OCD. :mrgreen:

But it is not a fair comparison as I have a large cartridge filter and you have what we call a "Florida" filter which are almost always on the small side.

Even so, you should be able to go at least three months between filter cleanings.

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad so we can see the plumbing.

Have you ever used the suction pipe in the bottom of the skimmer to vacuum up leaves etc.???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi,
During the winter I let it go for months, but not during the summer.
Yes, I have used the skimmer to vacuum up stuff and it seems to work fine.
I am not sure why I had those problems recently, but it is resolved since NOT using the skimmer.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.