Pump Suggestions 2HP+ Variable Speed

Wester97

Mar 31, 2019
Texas
Last year I replaced a 2HP SuperPump II with a 1.5HP variable speed pump as a bit of a stopgap until this summer. The 1.5 is not quite enough to run the pool efficiently and I'd like to replace it. Being able to schedule routines on the pump itself is nice and saves money so that the whole pool controller doesn't need to be replaced, but it sure is cumbersome. I'd like to be able to easily adjust the pump speed, as part of the return runs a waterfall, and I usually have that running while we are actually in the pool. I saw that there is a wifi adapter for the Vgreen Century pumps, but I couldn't find any full pumps that have that motor, so maybe I'd need to build it all myself. Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation on an easy to control variable speed pump that is 2+ HP?

I may replace my pool cleaner (currently pressure-side) with a robot and in the near future maybe also the pool heater. I'm having a hard time deciding if they all need to work together and I should just replace the whole control panel, or if I should piece it all together myself.

Thank you so much! While we wait for warmer weather, at least my head is swimming!

What pool controller do you have?

Why do you think the 1.5 HP VS pump is not running the pool efficiently?

The VGreen is only sold as a motor replacement and not on any complete pump. The VGreen is only 1.65 HP and not much more then what you have now.

I see VGreen also has a 2.7 HP Vs motor...

If you want a 3+ HP pump then get the Pentair IntelliFlo 011056 VSF pump.

Last edited:

How do you currently switch between the pool and spa modes? Is it by manually moving valves? If so, are they Jandy style valves?

Would it not be nice for the pump to run at the speed you want for the mode the pool is in?

Would it not be nice when you want to use the spa, you just push one button inside your house and the heater would turn on, the system would move the valve into the Spa mode, and the system would show you the current spa temperature.

When you are done, you just push one button, and everything reverts back to the Pool mode.

Let us know how you wish your pool/spa should work and we can get you pointed in that direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have Jandy valves with automation, but my controller can’t control a VS pump past just turning it on/off.

The pump in place now is 1.5hp and the waterfall is mostly just a trickle at full speed. Flow is weak compared to the 2hp it replaced. It doesn’t push debris into the skimmers as well as it used to and there is more fine sediment.

It looks like my booster pump is out too, so now I need to figure out my options.

I'm pretty sure the RS4 can be upgraded to control the 3 HP IntelliFlo VS pump as well as remote access so you can use your phone or PC to control things.

That said, I am not up on Jandy products, so let's see if we can get some of our Jandy experts to chime in.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Great! I’ll check it out. So this plus the IntelliFlo 3 HP would certainly be awesome. But it is probably oversized. Should I look for smaller or just appreciate that extra headroom?

If my booster pump is shot, should I fix it and get a new pressure side cleaner (Quattro?) or opt for a robot?

This pool will be like new!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great! I’ll check it out. So this plus the IntelliFlo 3 HP would certainly be awesome. But it is probably oversized. Should I look for smaller or just appreciate that extra headroom?

There is no such thing as an oversized VS pump. A larger VS will be more energy efficient at a given HP.

Consider getting a Jandy 2.7 HP VS pump. It will work better with your Aqualink controls.

If my booster pump is shot, should I fix it and get a new pressure side cleaner (Quattro?) or opt for a robot?
Robot will be less expensive.

There are pros and cons to both.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.