Pump starts then shuts off. Hayward Tristar AquaPlus. Need advice.

00DEREK

Aug 16, 2020
Phoenix AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hayward Tristar SP32950VSP pump
Operated by an AquaPlus automation panel

Noticed my pump was not running during the periods set in Timers. Started it manually by pressing Filter and selecting a high speed. Pump starts right away but After bleeding air out of the cartridge filter, the pump runs for 1-2 minutes then shuts off. No errors on the panel.

Same thing happens if I choose a low speed. Flow switch says water is flowing, strainers and baskets are clean

Any ideas?

Pump not running and flow switch says water is flowing does not make sense.

Are you sure the pump is not running? What you describe sounds like the pump is priming at high RPMs and then changing to a low RPM setting that makes the pump look like it is not running.

First thing I would do is check the flow switch with a multimeter and see if it opens and closes properly. If the flow switch is stuck closed then replace the flow switch first.

Pump not running and flow switch says water is flowing does not make sense.

Are you sure the pump is not running? What you describe sounds like the pump is priming at high RPMs and then changing to a low RPM setting that makes the pump look like it is not running.

First thing I would do is check the flow switch with a multimeter and see if it opens and closes properly. If the flow switch is stuck closed then replace the flow switch first.
agreed - what I mean is when the pump is running (during priming), the panel says flow meter = flow.
I'm pretty sure the pump is not running, I know they are quiet, but I'm standing over the pump basket and the water isn't moving.

also my high speed is 3450 rpm, so even after priming it should be audible if it's still running - it wouldn't change to a low speed if I select high speed

I will answer that here...

in order of events, I tried again this morning

timer settings have the pump off at this time, so I pressed Filter and selected speed 3 ~2250 rpm
pump runs the primer sequence - which is always 3450 rpm. Filter pressure was 35 psi, (which is high, I'm going to change cartridges once they arrive)
after ~2 mins the pump stopped. I expected it would continue at 2250rpm
Diagnostics Menu>Flow Switch = Flow
after another 1-2 mins pump comes on at 2250 - filter pressure was 10 psi, so that's not enough to shut down the pump for some internal safety interlock ( I hope)
after 1-2 mins pump stopped again
Diagnostics Menu>Flow Switch = Flow
Filter LED stays on, but pump is not running

Test the flow switch with a multimeter and figure out what is going on with it.

I would disconnect the RS-485 line from the Aquaplus and see if the pump starts and runs normally from its control panel.

Try and isolate the problem to the pump or to the Aquaplus.

Came home from work last night and turned off the AquaPlus (and pump) at the distribution panel. Got changed into some work clothes, gathered some tools and got ready to replace the filter cartridges which had arrived.

maybe 10-15 minutes later turned the panel back on. Pulled the flow switch connector out of the jack in the circuit board --> FLOW OFF, plugged it back in --> FLOW ON. Pumps are off at this point so I'm sure the flow switch is bad.

Turned on the pump at high speed and everything is working; prime delay ran for 3 mins, then the pump stayed on at high speed. Set it to low speed for the pool cleaner and it ran all night. I tried disconnecting the Pump--AquaPlus comm cable, but the pump control panel didn't turn on, so I still couldn't start the pump. I think there's a setting or a jumper I need to change?

This happened before within the last year, I just didn't document it, but now I remember; turning the panel off/on fixed it. Obviously it's going to come back, so I edited the title for a bit more clarity - hopefully someone out there has a permanent fix.

Thank you for the responses.

I think with the Hayward pump you need to disconnect the remote connection and plug in the pump control panel at the pump. Only one can be connected at a time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.