Pump Speed with the Intellicenter and heater

You should clean the filter.
Well I cleaned the filter -- it was pretty dirty -- and then took readings for the PSI and GPM for a given RPM. The table and chart are below. The "cleaner" pump is probably a good reference since it has no filter to pass thru, just a skimmer basket with a fine mesh sock. The "filter" pump pushes water thru the filter and you can see its flow rates are quite a bit lower. Is this normal or am I looking at replacing the filter cartridges?

TIA

Attachments

• pump2.numbers.pdf
    47.7 KB · Views: 11
@rhumbliner Just for comparison, here are some RPM vs Flow numbers on my pool:

1850 RPM = 35 GPM per EasyTouch readout (or 48 GPM per an inline flow meter)
2500 RPM = 51 GPM per EasyTouch readout (or 68 GPM per an inline flow meter)

I'm not sure which reading is more accurate (the one reported by the pump or the analog inline flow meter), but in either case, it's well above what you're seeing.

I have all 2" piping, and am going through an AquaCal heatpump (not through roof solar panels like you are)

Attachments

• A42E0F5B-3900-49DB-BC39-CEFDAB240F46.jpeg
    A42E0F5B-3900-49DB-BC39-CEFDAB240F46.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 15
  • 3508D851-21D5-4436-BCEA-F85501531FAA.jpeg
    3508D851-21D5-4436-BCEA-F85501531FAA.jpeg
    518.2 KB · Views: 15
  • CAF95B3F-0E8A-4734-9344-1224E241F23A.jpeg
    CAF95B3F-0E8A-4734-9344-1224E241F23A.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 14
@JamesW, @Stoopalini is it possible I have some blockage in my piping? If so, is there anyway to clear it or inspect it? I’ve had a HVAC company inspect my duct work once with a remote camera. Is there such a thing for pool plumbing?

Is this the typical valve positions? do you have a better pic of this area, one taken from the front?

From this angle, it appears only the cleaner port is open to return water to the pool.

1616604125626.png

Check the cell to make sure that it's clean.

If the water is returning through an in-floor cleaning system, that will increase the pressure.

Do you have in-floor cleaning?

If yes, check the screen in the union near the distribution head.

Here are some more pics. The valve settings are set the way my pool guy has them set. I'm new to this home so I don't understand what "leaf vac" is. Its on the return side so how can it be a vac? The pic with the 2 "skimmer" valves show them set with "south" closed. My pool guy says that's because since there are 2 pumps, "cleaner" and "main filter" and the "cleaner" pulls only
from the "south" skimmer so closing "south" keeps the "main filter" from competing with the "cleaner"

IMG_6908.jpegIMG_6909.jpegIMG_6910.jpeg

3225-50-dimn.jpg

Do you have anything like this anywhere?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check the cell to make sure that it's clean.

If the water is returning through an in-floor cleaning system, that will increase the pressure.

Do you have in-floor cleaning?

If yes, check the screen in the union near the distribution head.
The salt cell is new so I'm sure it's clean. Sorry, but I don't understand what an in-floor cleaning system is. I'm not sure what a distribution head but I've included a pic of what I think it might be. These both have a screen that I clean regularly.

IMG_6911.jpeg

Those are Caretaker type cleaning distribution valves.

They send water to the in-floor cleaning pop up heads.

They increase pressure quite a bit.

Check the screens in the unions.

I think all of you may have solved the problem for me. By opening the valve labelled "leaf vac" my GPM more than doubled while the PSI has dropped. So many thanks to you all. One last question. The leaf vac has a very old, dilapidated screen that I can't seem to find a replacement for. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

IMG_6885.jpeg

I think all of you may have solved the problem for me.
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

I run my cell 24x7 reliably @950 RPM (18gpm and 58 watt).
it can actually run lower @870 rpm, but it will sometimes allow the flow control switch to open if filter has not been cleaned for awhile.

I think all of you may have solved the problem for me. By opening the valve labelled "leaf vac" my GPM more than doubled while the PSI has dropped. So many thanks to you all. One last question. The leaf vac has a very old, dilapidated screen that I can't seem to find a replacement for. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

View attachment 317691
what skimmer are you using?

here is a replacement I ordered for my Paramount skimmer

I also use these as they are inexpensive and can throw them out after a little while. Granted they don’t allow/hold some volume of debris but they work well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.