Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Moved from here.
I have a similar problem. I have a Pentair IntelliCenter with 2 VS Pentair pumps. I have programmed my spa so that the pump runs at 2000 rpm when the heat source is not on, but when the heat source kicks in the speed jumps to 2800 rpm. Works great. But when I try to set my pool up similarly I have a problem. I want the pool pump to run at 3000 rpm when the heat source is not on and 2600 when the heat source is on, but it always runs at 3000 rpm even when the heat source is on. Is this the same problem as Alaxon has? The pump will always run at the highest speed? But then why does my spa work properly?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

I have a similar problem. I have a Pentair IntelliCenter with 2 VS Pentair pumps. I have programmed my spa so that the pump runs at 2000 rpm when the heat source is not on, but when the heat source kicks in the speed jumps to 2800 rpm. Works great.

SPA is at 2000. When heater turns on speed goes to 2800. Higher speed always wins. Works well.

But when I try to set my pool up similarly I have a problem. I want the pool pump to run at 3000 rpm when the heat source is not on and 2600 when the heat source is on, but it always runs at 3000 rpm even when the heat source is on. Is this the same problem as Alaxon has? The pump will always run at the highest speed? But then why does my spa work properly?

Pool is on at 3000. Heater turns on with speed set to 2600. Higher speed always wins. Speed stays at 3000.

Why do you want to run your pool at 3000?

Why do you want your pool heat at 2600?

R,

It is the identical issue.. In both cases the pump is running the fastest speed..

When in the spa mode it increases from 2000 to 2600, but in the pool mode it is running 3000, so it will not decrease to 2600.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Change the Pool Heater circuit to a GPM setting, instead of an RPM setting. It will then take priority, even though it is a lower speed.

I should add the caveat ... This works with EasyTouch, not sure about Intellicenter though ...

Why do you want to run your pool at 3000?

Why do you want your pool heat at 2600?
Thx for the response.

My spa heater is a gas burner so I increase the flow rate when the heater is running and decrease it when the heater is off. My pool heater is solar and I’ve had problems with leaking gaskets when the flow rate is too high. So I run the pool filter at a higher flow rate when the solar is off and drop the flow rate when the water is being forced thru the solar panels.

Change the Pool Heater circuit to a GPM setting, instead of an RPM setting. It will then take priority, even though it is a lower speed.

I should add the caveat ... This works with EasyTouch, not sure about Intellicenter though ...
Now that’s interesting. I’ll give it a try. Thx!

R,

It is the identical issue.. In both cases the pump is running the fastest speed..

When in the spa mode it increases from 2000 to 2600, but in the pool mode it is running 3000, so it will not decrease to 2600.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I wonder why this design decision was made. Seems questionable to me that the highest speed would always be the most desirable.

Thx for the response.

My spa heater is a gas burner so I increase the flow rate when the heater is running and decrease it when the heater is off. My pool heater is solar and I’ve had problems with leaking gaskets when the flow rate is too high. So I run the pool filter at a higher flow rate when the solar is off and drop the flow rate when the water is being forced thru the solar panels.
I think his question was more about why you run the pump so high (3000 RPM) when not heating.

For comparison, I run my pump at 1200 RPM 24x7, and kick it up to 2500 RPM twice a day, for an hour each time (for improved skimming). I never hit anything close to 3000 RPM on mine. This is much cheaper to operate (cost me about $0.30 a day) than running at such a high speed (3000 RPM) on a regular basis.

Now that’s interesting. I’ll give it a try. Thx!

Sure thing ... Please let us know if it works the same in Intellicenter.

Reactions: LSU
My spa heater is a gas burner so I increase the flow rate when the heater is running and decrease it when the heater is off.

My pool and spa are happy running at 1800 RPM with my Pentair MasterTemp NG heater on or off.

A gas heater does not need a very high flow rate. Somewhere around 1800-2200 rpm should be fine.

Typically, you want about 10 gpm for every 100,000 btu/hr of heat.

A 400,000 btu/hr heater should get about 40 gpm.

What speed will provide 40 gpm is different for each system.

The temperature rises from inlet to outlet should not exceed about 17 degrees Fahrenheit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have too much restriction in your system.

You probably need to clean your filter.

For those speeds, the flow should be significantly higher.

What does the pump display show for system pressure?

Put the automation in Service Mode to check the system pressure from the keypad.

What is the filter pressure?

Wow, that seems odd. My salt cell is quite happy at 1200 RPM.

40 GPM for me equates to 2060 RPM.

maybe there’s something obstructing your flow?

1613160032410.png

19 x 2.31 = 44 feet of total head.

I didn't know the numbers were with solar on.

What are the pressures and flow rates at higher speeds with solar off?

What is the required flow rate for solar?

How high are the panels?

I didn't know the numbers were with solar on.

What are the pressures and flow rates at higher speeds with solar off?

What is the required flow rate for solar?

How high are the panels?
With the solar panels off, at 2400 rpm my pump pressure stays at 19 psi but the pressure at the filter canister jumps to 20 psi. The solar panels, at the peak, are ~20 ft high.

I don’t know of a minimum flow rate for the solar, the installer only warned me about trying to push too much water thru. 2400-2600 rpm is the lowest I can go without the salt cell complaining.

BTW, thanks to everyone trying to help me out with this. I really appreciate you spending time on this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.