Pump Speed and Booster Pump

wcmaness

Jun 28, 2020
Arlington, TX
I have a pressure side cleaner which requires a booster pump. My question is - does the speed of my normal pump matter? Will my cleaner work better if I increase the RPM speed of my pool pump when running the booster pump, or will that actually hurt performance? I'm thinking it's not useful to increase my pool pump speed since the booster goes directly in the line where the cleaner hose is attached.

No, I don't think so. But more importantly, see if you can find in the cleaner manual how one determines the cleaner's performance. Sometimes it's expressed as how fast its wheels are turning (revolutions or feet per minute sort of thing). Sometimes the cleaner comes with a little gauge to measure pressure or flow (my suction cleaner did, not sure about pressure cleaners). If the cleaner is performing correctly at the main pump speed you prefer to use, then you're good-to-go.

And @guinness is correct, most pressure cleaners need both pumps to be running, the booster is correctly named, as it is boosting the pressure supplied by the main pump to what the cleaner needs. Which is why I got rid of both my booster and my pressure-side vac, had the cleaner line replumbed to suction-side and installed a suction vac. Works the same, but I don't have to empty the a bag, no tail spraying my windows, and no extra pump.

Others here use robots, which require no pumps to be running.

@Dirk, when you switched to suction side only did you find any difference in sediment levels, need to sweep more etc? I’ve always thought one of the biggest advantages to a pressure cleaner was the tail, the sweeping motion keeps fine sediment suspended where its more likely to get sucked into the main drain or skimmer throat than if its clinging to the wall.

@Dirk, when you switched to suction side only did you find any difference in sediment levels, need to sweep more etc? I’ve always thought one of the biggest advantages to a pressure cleaner was the tail, the sweeping motion keeps fine sediment suspended where its more likely to get sucked into the main drain or skimmer throat than if its clinging to the wall.
Great question. No, no difference, but... I should have added that while both my pressure and suction vacs performed almost identically, in terms of keeping my pool clean, I have a very clean pool environment to start with. I was very fortunate to inherit a pool and yard that stay very clean. I don't get any kind of sediment, and few leaves most of the year, so I can't really weigh in on that aspect of cleaner comparisons. (I know, not helpful "My cleaner works great! Because it doesn't have to do anything!!)

Sidebar...

The original landscaper did a fantastic job of design and plant choice, and I've tried to keep that up. I don't get many leaves in the pool, and there are no bare patches of loose soil anywhere near my pool. It's safe to say a big part of how well any cleaner does has as much to do with your yard as anything else. Mulch and evergreen plants are the way to go. And for whatever reason, the leaves that get into my pool float more than they sink, so they end up in the skimmer, not in the vac. I don't know if that's something you can shop for, when selecting plants, or how you would even look that up, but that's what you want around a pool.

Bottom line, if you have a plant that is making your pool cleaning a pain, uh, bye bye plant. Same goes for the source of the sediment, if possible. I've had very good luck with succulents. They don't do well in freezing winters, obviously, but if you can make them work, they're great: evergreen, very little mess, and what does fall off of them stays put and doesn't blow around the yard. There are so many varieties. And I've noticed this year that they've been doing way better than most of my other plants, which are struggling with the heat, even with increased water rations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.