Pump skimmer basket water electrified

Jul 3, 2015
Atlanta
I have never sensed any electricity in my pool water prior to today as I was cleaning the skimmer basket of the pump itself. The water inside the pump shocked me pretty good a few times.

I read the thread that talked about water in the pool shocking as a result of the bonding wire not being properly connected or corroded. I just find it odd that I’ve never felt this around the pool. However I was really well grounded as I was standing in bare feet next to the pump.

Does anyone have an idea of the plan of action to take care of this?

First, a little more information on your pool would help. Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

OK guys. Thank you so much for helping.

First of all, the measure voltage in the water within the pump is around 5v.

There are two copper bonding wires connected to the pump. One goes into the ground and the other seems like it was poked into the ground and left. The pad used to have a heater, so maybe that wire used to connect the heater to the pump????

I’m thinking that I should just discard that extra wire, assuming it’s normal to only have one bonding wire into the ground and then clean the contact pump-to-bonding wire connection and re test the voltage in the water. How does that sound?

The various components of the pool (pump, heater, light, beam. shell) should all be bonded independently and then to a common earth point. Sounds like the light or the pool bonding has failed if you're getting zapped from the water. I doubt cleaning the pump contacts will change anything but give it a try and report back.

Sure enough. Leslie’s installer did a horrible job of connecting the wiring to my new variable speed pump. I took everything apart, replaced all the conduit and inspected everything and then simply found the pump connection was causing the problem. Thanks all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.