Pump sizing and brand

lxjenkins

Apr 27, 2019
New York
I currently have an older Hayward Super Pump (1 hp, single speed) that I'll be replacing with a VS pump as I transition to SWG. I have two questions:

(1) Is there any advantage to paying more for a 3HP VS vs going with a 1.5HP or 1.65HP VS pump?

(2) What have people's experiences been with "off-brand" VS pumps such as Harris and Doheny's?

thank you in advance.

I currently have an older Hayward Super Pump (1 hp, single speed) that I'll be replacing with a VS pump as I transition to SWG. I have two questions:

(1) Is there any advantage to paying more for a 3HP VS vs going with a 1.5HP or 1.65HP VS pump?

Long term the 3HP pump will save you more in electrical cost then the increased initial acquisition cost...

At 1750 rpm the 1.6 HP is putting out 0.8 HP.

At 1750 rpm the 3 HP pump is putting out 1.5 HP.

So 1.5 HP will require more electricity then 0.8 HP.

But if your pool needs 0.8 HP then you run the 3 HP pump at 1,150 RPM. 1,150 RPM on the 3 HP pump will use less electricity then 1750 RPM on the 1.6 HP pump while both give 0.8 HP.

Your pool does not need RPMs, it needs a specific HP flow and the larger pumps are more efficient.

Note, HP is not always linear but illustrates the equivalent number.

Variable_Speed_Pump_Electrical_Costs.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.