Bettendorf, IA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
At the end of last year, our pump died and we replaced the motor with the same 1.5hp Hayward Superpump this weekend. Things seemed to be set up just fine and the pump kicked on no problem.

I am opening the pool, so the water is really dirty. I first vacuumed to waste and ran the pump for awhile. It ran fine, sounded normal, then shut off after about 30-mins or so. I turned it back on, and it continues to shut off after about 20-minutes. The breaker never trips, the pump just turns off. I've tried backwashing and recirculating the water a couple of times. There are no bubbles in the pump basket and the pressure gage seems fine (although I rarely see big changes in my pressure gage).

Any suggestions on things I could check before calling the pool guy to come check it out?

When you say “I turned it back on, ...” what switch do you use to turn it back on?

Sure sounds like there is some timer or program in your automation that is turning your pump off and nothing is wrong with the pump.

Sure sounds like there is some timer or program in your automation that is turning your pump off and nothing is wrong with the pump.
The timer is off (meaning the pump should be running nonstop) and i'm not sure what other program would be affecting the pump run time.

Is the motor being turned off by the automation or is it overheating and being turned off by by the thermal switch in the motor?

Does the filter light stay on or turn off?

Is the new motor the same hp and service factor as the old motor?

Is the new motor wired correctly?

Is the motor being turned off by the automation or is it overheating and being turned off by by the thermal switch in the motor?

Does the filter light stay on or turn off?

Is the new motor the same hp and service factor as the old motor?

Is the new motor wired correctly?
I don't believe the motor is being turned off by automation. It could be overheating (it's not hot and there is no warning).

The filter light goes off. The new motor is the same as the old (1.5hp). As far as wiring, I think I did it right but I could have done it wrong. There are two wires and a couple ground wires, but it's very possible that I did this wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have flow detection enabled and the flow switch is reporting no flow, it will shut off the pump.

Are you getting good flow?

Is the flow switch showing flow in diagnostics?

Is flow detection enabled in configuration?

Last edited:
If you have flow detection enabled and the flow switch is reporting no flow, it will shut off the pump.

Are you getting good flow?

Is the flow switch showing flow in diagnostics?

Is flow detection enabled in configuration?

I am getting good flow however the flow switch is showing no flow. Is there a sensor that would need to be replaced?

I disabled the flow switch and we’ll see if the pump stays on (I didn’t know how to do that, so thank you for the info)

It might be a bad flow switch.

If you have good flow, but the flow switch says no flow, check to make sure that the flow switch is plugged in securely.

If the plug is secure, you might need a new flow switch.

The purpose of flow monitoring is to protect the pump. If the system knows that the pump is on but the flow switch is showing "No flow", it assumes that there must be a problem and it turns the pump off.

You can disable flow monitoring for the pump but flow detection for the SWG can't be disabled. So, the SWG will not work if the flow switch says "No flow".

Last edited:
I am getting good flow however the flow switch is showing no flow. Is there a sensor that would need to be replaced?

I disabled the flow switch and we’ll see if the pump stays on (I didn’t know how to do that, so thank you for the info)
After disabling the flow switch, the pump has remained on. Thank you for this. I will look into the flow switch.

Here is the procedure for replacing an aquarite flow switch. It's the same as for aquaplus or prologic except where the plug plugs in.

This video shows where the flow switch plugs in (2:10). It's a Rj11 terminal. The flow switch closes when there is flow, so you can make a tester by using an RJ11 (old phone plug style) cable with the wires connected together.

If the system shows flow with the tester plugged in, a new flow switch should work.

Turn off the chlorinator before using the test cable and only use the cable to do a quick test. Do not leave the test cable in the plug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.